• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Hove

Chancellor announces £9.5m in budget to revive Hove seafront

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 27 Oct, 2021 at 4:50PM
A A
2
Hove Lagoon starting to drain after pump failure

Hove Lagoon

A project to revive Hove seafront has been awarded £9.5 million by the Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, in the budget today (Wednesday 27 October).

The money will go towards the Kingsway to the Sea project, aimed at reviving the green spaces between the King Alfred Leisure Centre and Hove Lagoon.

It is one of just over 100 projects to share a pot worth more than £1.6 billion as part of the first round of awards from the £4.8 billion Levelling Up Fund.

Conservative councillor Robert Nemeth, who represents Wish ward on Brighton and Hove City Council, said: “This is very welcome news.”

He said: “Many thanks to both the Green administration and of course to the Chancellor for answering our calls for investment after many years of campaigning for improvements to the West Hove seafront.

“Credit should also go to local groups such as the West Hove Forum, West Hove Seafront Action Group, Friends of Hove Lagoon and Hove Beach Hut Association for supporting throughout.”

The council completed a consultation on its proposals for the area earlier this month.

It said: “Kingsway to the Sea is a project that is being developed by Brighton and Hove City Council with local community organisations to regenerate what are considered run-down and underused spaces on the seafront in West Hove.

“Trends in sports participation have altered which has led to a drop in use of the existing facilities here.

“The scheme is aiming to enhance the green spaces and provide contemporary leisure and sporting facilities which are relevant to the needs and aspirations of residents today.

“The project is seeking to transform this highly visible and substantial community asset and provide facilities in line with current and future expectations.

“The scheme will look to remodel the land between the King Alfred Leisure Centre and Hove Lagoon, improve biodiversity and attractiveness for the green space and rejuvenate the urban realm.”

Green councillor Martin Osborne, who co-chairs the council’s Tourism, Equalities, Communities and Culture Committee, said: “We’re delighted to receive this funding which will help us realise some of the ambitions our residents, businesses and local clubs have for this part of the seafront.

“We are working to improve our seafront for everyone to explore and enjoy and will continue to take advantage of funding opportunities to continue the regeneration.”

The council said: “Work on the ‘Kingsway to the Sea’ project began back in 2018 when the West Hove Forum approached the council to work on plans to develop the area.

“Since then, council officers have been working with the West Hove Seafront Action Group (WHSAG) group whose members include local residents and representatives from businesses, clubs and voluntary organisations.

“This led to the council commissioning landscape architects Untitled Practice to create an initial design to help shape discussions.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Hove Guy says:
    5 years ago

    Let us hope it will turn out to be more inspiring than the dreary development on Brighton seafront.

    Reply
  2. Sea Shanty says:
    5 years ago

    I hope it is spent wisely. I don’t think the Greens should be in control of the money.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Chancellor announces £9.5m in budget to revive Hove seafront

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
October 2021
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News