• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

More people complain about councillors’ conduct, according to report

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 14 Apr, 2022 at 12:25AM
A A
1
Brighton and Hove Citizens Advice Bureau moves out of town hall

Hove Town Hall

More official complaints have been made about councillors’ conduct in the past three months than in the whole of 2019.

Fourteen complaints were lodged in the first quarter of this year, compared with 13 in 2019, – although the annual number jumped in 2020 to 33 and rose again last year to 36.

Nine complaints were made about comments on social media by Conservative councillor Robert Nemeth in online exchanges about a story in the Daily Mail in February.

The story was headlined: “Parent fury as Brighton primary schools tell staff NOT to say ‘mum’ and ‘dad’ and use ‘grown ups’ instead to avoid stigmatising ‘non-traditional’ families.”

Brighton and Hove City Council published a statement saying: “Recent reports claiming four Brighton schools are not allowing the words ‘mum’ and ‘dad’ to be used are untrue.”

As well as nine complaints about Councillor Nemeth’s comments, another complaint was made about fellow Conservative councillor Dawn Barnett who was quoted in the press on the same subject.

The complaints are logged – without naming the two councillors – in a report to the council’s Audit and Standards Committee which is due to meet next week.

Previously, Labour councillor Daniel Yates, who chairs the committee, has identified himself as the subject of complaints.

The latest update is understood to include two complaints made by Labour and Conservative members about the conduct of Green councillor Hannah Clare when she chaired the council’s Children, Young People and Skills Committee on Monday 7 March.

Councillor Clare said that she was not aware of any complaints and declined to comment on the matter.

Two members of the public have also submitted complaints about councillors failing to treat them “with respect”.

A further seven complaints from last year have yet to be resolved, with four of the outstanding complaints having been made about one councillor.

Last year the council revised its code of conduct and encouraged councillors to take refresher training so that they might “promote and maintain high standards of conduct”.

And a specialist external trainer was brought in to help councillors use social media without breaching the council’s code of conduct.

Councillor Robert Nemeth

Every council is required to adopt a code of conduct which “must conform to the seven ‘Nolan’ principles of standards in public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty, and leadership”.

But since the Localism Act 2010, the council’s Standards Committee has had no power to suspend councillors although it can censure members and recommend training which they can ignore.

The latest standards update includes a letter to the council from government minister Kemi Badenoch, who studied at Sussex University.

Ms Badenoch, the Minister of State for Equalities and Levelling Up Communities, said: “Vibrant local democracies flourish where the reputation of the local authority is held in high regard, where councillors’ decision-making is transparent, valued and trusted by the communities they serve and where people are willing and confident to put themselves forward as potential candidates.

“The standards and conduct framework within which local authorities operate must drive out corruption and promote commitment to the principles on standards in public life and tolerance to the differing views of others.”

She underlined the government’s commitment to the importance of protecting free speech, adding that ministers had no intention of bringing back the previous “flawed regime”, which allowed for councillors to be suspended.

Kemi Badenoch

She said: “There is no provision in current legislation for a sanction to suspend a councillor found to have breached the code of conduct and this was a deliberate policy decision by the coalition government at the time of the Localism Act 2011 to differentiate from the previous failed ‘Standards Board’ regime.

“The Standards Board regime allowed politically motivated and vexatious complaints and had a chilling effect on free speech within local government.”

And she added: “All councillors are ultimately held to account via the ballot box.”

The council’s Audit and Standards Committee is due to meet at Hove Town Hall at 4pm on Tuesday (19 April). The meeting is scheduled to be webcast on the council’s website.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Ben Earl says:
    4 years ago

    There’s a lot of politically motivated whining from people on all sides of the debate and way too many people with a thin skin. If you don’t like these people, vote them out. Perhaps even lobby their party to deselect them if they’re likely to deter voters. The whole standards complaints system stinks and should be scrapped.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

School building to become temporary charity hub

More people complain about councillors’ conduct, according to report

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
April 2022
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News