• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton domestic abuse campaigners welcome outcome of council review

by Frank le Duc
Friday 29 Jul, 2022 at 9:21PM
A A
0
Masons donate £10k to Brighton domestic violence charity

RISE volunteers in t-shirts bearing slogans written by domestic abuse survivors to illustrate the support that they received from the charity

Domestic abuse campaigners have welcomed Brighton and Hove City Council’s pledge to improve the way that it handles sensitive contracts in future.

The Rise Up campaign group said that it did not believe that domestic abuse charity RISE would have lost key contracts if councillors had been more involved in the tender process.

Thousands of people petitioned the council after RISE lost two key contracts worth up to £5 million over seven years.

And the campaign group’s comments came after a review by councillors “found no evidence to suggest that there were any flaws in the procurement process or that decisions for the two contracts were wrong”.

Rise Up campaigners said: “It is hard to marry the damning findings of the report with the conclusion.

“We strongly doubt the procurement outcome would have been the same if councillors from Brighton and Hove had had oversight of the process.

“The council’s decision to take future procurement in-house is a testament to that.

“The recommendations of the report signal strongly a chaotic process where suppliers and services users were not adequately consulted, key staff members weren’t replaced and local oversight was absent.

“We welcome the recommendations of the report to increase the social value percentage of procurement contracts.

“Far too often, large national organisations have used their muscle to take over locally grown and established organisations, often dismantling a delicate and working eco-system.

“A charity is more than the sum of its parts. Decades of establishing local services and relationships, staff, volunteer teams and trust, only to have the services be handed piecemeal to outside organisations have been a dispiriting picture throughout the UK.”

RISE lost its contracts after Brighton and Hove City Council joined forces with East Sussex County Council and the Office of the Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner to commission some services jointly. East Sussex officials led the process.

Green councillor Steph Powell, who led a cross-party review of the debacle, said that there would be a greater emphasis in future on aspects of services that were hard to measure. These aspects could include qualities such as empathy, kindness, integrity and boundary setting.

She also said that the council would procure local services for those affected by domestic abuse and violence itself in future rather than collaborating with others again.

Councillor Steph Powell

Councillor Powell said of the review: “Our collaboration and attention to this work has been absolutely second to none. It has been a true cross-party effort.

“Our number one priority during this process has been and remains providing survivors of domestic violence and domestic abuse with the best client-centred support wherever possible.”

Conservative councillor Steve Bell said: “It is unfortunate we had to look at this but it is fortunate decisions have been made and a clear process put in place.

“We as elected councillors can feel confident when other contracts and awards are given to third parties, especially in our voluntary sector that we value so highly.”

Councillor Steve Bell

Labour councillor Amanda Evans took part in the cross-party review. She said that it could have descended into a finger-pointing exercise, with Greens and Labour having a go at each other over who was in charge at the different stages of the procurement process.

She said: “The Tories could have said they were the only ones with clean hands on this but it didn’t happen. Serving the survivors of this city was too important to let that happen.”

Green councillor Tom Druitt also took part in the cross-party review. He said: “It was a real eye opener for me. The biggest thing was listening to all the stories of the survivors.

“It’s not a service I have really had any experience of or knew much about it before all of this work.

“I’m really grateful I’ve had a whole new perspective on an area of the council I didn’t know anything about.”

It emerged that decisions about the procurement process had not been properly followed and officials will now be expected to use a “decision tracker” to ensure councillors’ democratic votes are implemented.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Brighton domestic abuse campaigners welcome outcome of council review

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
July 2022
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News