• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton hospital halts some operations after official watchdog steps in

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 23 Aug, 2022 at 6:00PM
A A
0
Brighton hospital flies ‘thank you’ flags

A Brighton hospital has halted operations in a specialist field of surgery after an unannounced inspection by the government’s official health and care watchdog.

The suspension of surgery at the Royal Sussex County Hospital, in Brighton, is understood to have meant that operations were cancelled for two patients with cancer. They are expected to have their ops elsewhere.

The surgical specialism area, upper gastro-intestinal (GI) surgery, is understood to deal with about a relatively modest number of operations a year – in the low dozens.

But one health commentator said that each of these patients would be waiting for potentially life-saving surgery and probably have been ill for some time by the time they had an operation.

The watchdog, the Care Quality Commission (CQC), issued a statement this afternoon (Tuesday 23 August).

CQC network director Deanna Westwood said: “Following an inspection on Thursday 11 August, the CQC has today taken urgent action to suspend the activity of the upper gastro-intestinal surgery service at the Royal Sussex County Hospital site part of University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust.

“We took this action because we believe if we didn’t, patients using the service may be exposed to the risk of unnecessary harm.

“University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust has the right to appeal and further information will be published by the CQC when we are able to do so.”

The trust’s chief executive George Findlay said: “Everything we do is focused on giving patients the highest standards of care, and we are committed to working with the CQC to take all actions needed to make the required improvements.”

Dr Findlay added: “This affects a small number of patients but is a priority for us to get right and we are talking with those affected to support them and to agree alternative arrangements.”

The trust’s chief operating officer Andy Heeps emailed staff. Dr Heeps said: “Following the visit by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) earlier this month to inspect upper GI cancer surgery at the Royal Sussex County Hospital, we have now been informed by the CQC that this particular service should suspend activity due to concerns over its safety.

“This applies only to planned upper GI cancer surgery at this site – no other services.

“This news is extremely disappointing but we are committed to working with the CQC to take all actions needed to make the required improvements. Ultimately, we are all focused on giving patients the highest standards of care.

George Findlay

“No operations were booked in to the service over the next week and so the immediate impact on patients is thankfully minimal but nonetheless it will be a priority for us to gain clarity on next steps for both patients and our colleagues.

“We are already working with our NHS partners to ensure that our patients can be accommodated at alternative sites – that is of the utmost importance – and we will also be talking directly with those patients to ensure they are aware of what is happening and supported.

“We are also talking with those colleagues who are most immediately affected by this news and we will continue to do so as we seek to work through this together.

“We will also keep all of you informed as our discussions with the CQC and colleagues progress and we know more about how we can move forward.”

Healthwatch Brighton and Hove chair Geoffrey Bowden said: “Healthwatch is always concerned about anything that may damage confidence in local NHS services.

“Action to suspend the upper gastro-intestinal surgery service at the Royal Sussex County Hospital will not have been taken lightly by CQC inspectors.

Geoffrey Bowden

“Healthwatch’s primary concern is that patients affected are supported by the trust while an alternative site for their surgery is arranged and that robust plans to address inspectors’ concerns that patients using the service could be exposed to the risk of unnecessary harm are put in place.

“Healthwatch will be on standby to support the trust implement measures to allow upper gastro-intestinal surgery to resume at the County Hospital site as soon as possible.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton hospital halts some operations after official watchdog steps in

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
August 2022
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News