• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Labour councillors call for pause before placing recovering addicts in old brewery

by Frank le Duc
Monday 3 Oct, 2022 at 5:45PM
A A
0
Planners approve 48 homes for old Portslade brewery site

Two Labour councillors have called for a pause before people with complex mental health needs are placed in the old brewery in Portslade.

Councillor Alan Robins and Councillor Les Hamilton are calling on Brighton and Hove City Council and NHS Sussex to listen to local concerns and answer residents’ questions.

It emerged in the past week that the council and NHS bosses planned to house 60 people, including recovering drug addicts and alcoholics, at the premises in the Old Village.

The brewery building, also known as Le Carbone, in High Street, has been the source of many complaints over the past few years even before the hostel proposal came to light.

Neighbours have raised numerous concerns, including about wood being burnt at the site, during building work after the council granted planning permission for the premises to be turned into high-end flats.

At the weekend, Independent councillor Peter Atkinson, who represents North Portslade, alerted neighbours to the plan in a post on Facebook.

Yesterday the two Labour councillors for South Portslade – which includes the old brewery – urged the council and NHS bosses to pause their plans to move people in.

Councillor Robins said that it was not a case of demonising anyone, as some had suggested when the news emerged.

And he said that the nearby Emmaus project was a good example of how to engage with neighbours when planning and running a scheme like this – before and after moving in.

But he and Councillor Hamilton were concerned that there had been no proper discussion about how the new scheme at the old brewery might affect the local community.

They also wanted to know how the needs of the residents – or clients – could properly be met at the Portslade site after professionals raised their own worries.

The site is due to be run, on a 10-year lease, by a national charity called Saint John of God (SJOG) Hospitaller Services.

The charity is taking over contracts currently held by BHT Sussex, formerly known as Brighton Housing Trust, and the housing association Sanctuary.

Councillor Alan Robins

Councillor Robins, who sits on the council’s Health and Wellbeing Board, said that he was adamant that local residents should have an opportunity to comment on the proposals

He said: “It may be their fears are unfounded and the council and NHS commissioners can reassure residents.

“But we need to give local people a chance to know what the proposals are, meet the organisation who will be running things and explore any concerns they might have.

“We had very little warning around this. We were told just seven days before they were going to move the first clients in.”

The start date has since been put back to the beginning of November but the two councillors were worried that local residents had had no chance to look at any plans.

They said that residents should be given time to discuss matters with their local councillors, council officers or the NHS commissioning team.

Councillor Les Hamilton

The two councillors have also been contacted by staff from the existing services who were worried that clients would not cope in the proposed setting. Those staff were expected to move from the existing services to the new building.

There was a suggestion that the move should take place without local residents being told anything – something that Councillor Robins said was ludicrous and would undermine the council’s pledge to be open and transparent.

Among those understood to have concerns about the latest move are those who paid for upmarket houses as part of the makeover of the old brewery. They are believed to be exploring their legal options.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Labour councillors call for pause before placing recovering addicts in old brewery

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
October 2022
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News