• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Hospital helideck won’t open until autumn because of fears choppers could damage cladding

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Tuesday 14 Feb, 2023 at 3:48PM
A A
1
Hospital helideck won’t open until autumn because of fears choppers could damage cladding

A new hospital helideck will not open until autumn because cladding on the tower it sits on top of needs to be refixed so helicopters don’t blow it off.

The BBC revealed last month the reason for latest delay to the Royal Sussex County Hospital’s helideck is that surveys had found air ambulances could damage the Thomas Kemp tower.

The deck, which was originally scheduled to be operational from 2019, is part of a multi-million pound redevelopment of the Brighton hospital site.

Yesterday, (Monday, 14 February), residents at a hospital liaison group were told cladding is now being removed and refixed from the top ten metres of the tower and reattached with new brackets.

Hospital spokesperson Richard Beard said the process is happening “a few panels at a time” and will continue until the autumn.

The process is weather dependent, Mr Beard explained, as the builders work in cradles hanging off the 13-storey building, which can’t be used when winds are higher than 20-25 mph.

The autumn completion estimate allows for up to two and a half months of delays because of bad weather.

A two-and-a-half month allowance is included in the timeframe for when people cannot work in the cradles on the side of the 13-storey building in Eastern Road, Brighton.

He said: “Once this is complete, we will have operational checks with the Civil Aviation Authority. They’ve already signed off on the structure of the helideck.

“We will then start trial landings and then using the helideck.”

Jackie Groves, assistant director of the 3Ts programme responsible for making the new buildings operational, said work is underway to organise the helideck safety crew and patient routes from the roof to the new facilities in the Louise Martindale building.

She said: “The perception is the Thomas Kemp Tower and the new Louise Martindale building are very far apart from the outside.

“After an air ambulance arrives the patients drop down into the Thomas Kemp Tower and the new linkway across into the new building is very near.

“There is an opportunity to consider where to take someone – to the emergency CT scanner for someone coming off the helideck or straight into theatre in the Thomas Kemp, or maybe going to the new equipment in the new building.”

There will still be occasions when the air ambulance will land in East Brighton Park based on weather conditions.

The pilot will make any landing decision.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Chris says:
    3 years ago

    Well it is now January 2024 so I guess Autumn has been and gone. Still not seen/heard a helicopter go near it

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Hospital helideck won’t open until autumn because of fears choppers could damage cladding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
February 2023
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News