• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Council may buy new-build flats in Brighton from developer

Purchase on the cards after lack of interest from housing associations

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Friday 16 Jun, 2023 at 9:18AM
A A
5
Council may buy new-build flats in Brighton from developer

The Kubic apartments in Whitehawk

Brighton and Hove City Council could buy new flats built in Whitehawk if councillors agree to start negotiations.

The scheme at the former Whitehawk Clinic site, in Whitehawk Road, was granted planning permission subject to an agreement on affordable housing in July 2018.

At the time, 15 of the 38 flats in the Kubic Apartments, in Whitehawk Road, were designated “affordable housing”.

But since then, no housing association has shown interest in the block, prompting the developer Martin Homes to start discussions to sell the whole building to the council.

And next week the council’s Housing and New Homes Committee is being asked to consider the proposal. If it supports the idea, it will go before the council’s Strategy, Finance and Regeneration Committee the next day.

Valuations for the project are detailed in confidential papers. But, during budget council meetings in February 2021 and February 2022, councillors agreed to spend up to £6 million on a “substantial one-off property acquisition” which would be subject to a detailed report.

If the purchase goes ahead, the flats would be used for permanent housing rather than temporary or emergency accommodation.

The report said: “It is proposed to use the block for general needs housing providing new permanent social housing in the city.

“A lettings plan will be considered to ensure these homes can be used, for instance, as an option for tenants under-occupying and wishing to transfer and downsize alongside other council interest queues.”

Nineteen of the 38 flats are one-bedroom, suitable for one person, with six one-bedroom flats for two people.

There are also four three-bedroom flats for up to four people, eight two-bedroom flats for three people and one two-bedroom flat for two people.

Two of the ground-floor flats are wheelchair-accessible and there is a disabled-accessible lift.

One of the weaknesses listed in the report is the large number of one-bedroom flats which are described as “more intensive to manage”.

But the report said that the building was “good quality sustainable accommodation”, adding: “The council is committed to increasing affordable housing supply in the city.

“As well as new-build schemes, the council has an active acquisitions programme which includes buying back homes lost through the right to buy and seeking opportunities to increase social housing stock by buying off-plan from developers.”

The Housing and New Homes Committee is due to meet at Hove Town Hall at 4pm on Wednesday 21 June. The meeting is scheduled to be webcast on the council’s website.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. Dave bekin says:
    3 years ago

    Makes a lot of sense to buy this and tell retired people to move out of 3 bed houses that families could have

    Reply
    • Jenny+Mullins says:
      3 years ago

      Quite.

      Reply
  2. Benjamin says:
    3 years ago

    Community Land Trust opportunity?

    Reply
    • Sara Winnington says:
      3 years ago

      I will bring this up with the trust

      Reply
  3. Chris says:
    3 years ago

    Most people do not want to live in flats any more- another “consequence” of lockdowns…. It just keeps giving..

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council may buy new-build flats in Brighton from developer

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
June 2023
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News