• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Machete attack man tells of relief as jury clears him of wounding

Peacehaven scaffolder acted in self-defence after drunk intruder besieged son’s family home

by Frank le Duc
Monday 21 Aug, 2023 at 6:39PM
A A
4
Machete attack man tells of relief as jury clears him of wounding

Tony Cosstick

A Peacehaven scaffolder has spoken of his relief after a jury cleared him of wounding a drunk intruder with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm (GBH).

Anthony Cosstick, 58, took a machete to the man who, the jury was told, appeared to be possessed as he persistently tried to force his way into the Southview Road property.

Tony Cosstick, of Collingwood Close, Peacehaven, faced the prospect of a life sentence if convicted – and a two-year stretch at the very least.

But the jury saw distressing security camera footage from the home shared by his son John Cosstick, John’s partner Samantha Hemblade and their two-year-old son.

And jurors heard Sam Hemblade, during a long and desperate 999 call made shortly after 1.30am on Sunday 9 October, as they endured an agonisingly long wait for the police to arrive.

The jury unanimously acquitted Mr Cosstick of unlawful wounding – a month after he was cleared of having an offensive weapon in public without good reason by a different jury at Chichester Crown Court.

Mr Cosstick said that he had been through emotional and mental distress including the two trials, adding: “I’m so relieved after all my family have had to go through. Thank you to the jury. Justice has gone my way.”

John Carmichael, prosecuting, had told the jury at Hove Crown Court that Cosstick was entitled to use force against the intruder Audrius Guokas in self-defence.

But Mr Carmichael said that what might have started out as a reasonable use of force ended up being “way too much”.

Mr Guokas, 38, a Lithuanian man from Brace Street, Walsall, near Birmingham, said that he had seven or eight whiskies before going for a walk and getting lost. He had never been to Peacehaven before.

He was heard on a recording at the time saying that he had had crack cocaine too. In the witness box, he said that he had only been drinking.

The jury heard that several other people called 999 in the 90 minutes or so before the police arrived, concerned by Mr Guakas’s disturbing behaviour.

He was covered in blood and threw himself on the bonnet of at least two cars and knocked at a number of people’s doors in the early hours before he reached Southview Road.

At the family home, Mr Guakas threw a wheely bin on to the bonnet of a car in the driveway, emptying its contents.

He hammered on the door, waking the couple and their infant son, and forcing his way in at least twice.

John Cosstick ejected him but Mr Guokas kept coming back and Mr Cosstick called his parents Tony Cosstick and Paula Chincharo.

Chincharo, 55, of Collingwood Close, Peacehaven, was cleared of assault at an earlier trial, at Chichester Crown Court, when Cosstick was cleared of having an offensive weapon in public without good reason.

He was retried for the assault after the first jury was unable to reach a verdict but cleared unanimously at his retrial at Hove.

Audrius Guokas charges at the front door without warning shortly after 1.30am

Hannah Hurley, defending, told the court that Cosstick had acted with considerable restraint, striking only when Mr Guakas attacked his ex-wife.

She said that the footage was frightening and “the harrowing events that took place that evening are awful”.

And she said: “That 999 call was a commentary on the terror that family were living through.

“But the threat was huge … It was like a horror movie that wouldn’t end. Mr Guokas was zombie-like, with such strength and he wouldn’t stop. He wouldn’t stay down.

“When Mr Guokas no longer posed a threat, Mr Cosstick stopped. He paced and waited for the police.

“Mr Cosstick didn’t attack him until Mr Guokas attacked his ex-wife. He was making sure his family were safe. He did no more than he needed to do to protect them.”

Audrius Guokas about to throw himself on the bonnet of a moving car

Miss Hurley added: “Mr Guokas had been chanting, howling like a wolf and repeatedly banging the door – he was relentless.

“Mr Cosstick wouldn’t have known this man’s limitations. No level of force seemed to be enough to get this level of danger to cease.

Audrius Guokas threw a wheely bin at a car before trying to break into a family home shortly after 1.30am

“All that Mr Cosstick wanted, all that he intended, was for Mr Guokas to stop – and it’s all that he has wanted, having to relive the terror throughout this trial.

“Members of the jury, you have the power in your hands to make this nightmare stop in this sad and very terrible trial.

“Mr Cosstick was, through no fault of his own, employing lawful self-defence.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Dean Hemblade says:
    3 years ago

    Will the police now finally pursue Mr Guokas and charge him ? Probably not makes my blood boil

    Reply
  2. Barry Woid says:
    3 years ago

    Is the law on the side of the innocent anymore. It doesnt sound like it. This should never have gone to trial and Guokas should serve time and then be deported. You will hear more of this with all the unknown criminals currently claiming asylum

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      3 years ago

      Already underway, Dean.

      Reply
  3. Rostrum says:
    3 years ago

    “The jury heard that several other people called 999 in the 90 minutes or so before the police arrived, concerned by Mr Guakas’s disturbing behavior.”

    90 Minutes to attend a violent incident………………………………………………………………………

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Machete attack man tells of relief as jury clears him of wounding

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
August 2023
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News