• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Storms and basements hamper Royal Albion demolition, neighbours told

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 2 Nov, 2023 at 12:57PM
A A
4
Royal Albion neighbours speak out about living in limbo for months since hotel blaze evacuation

Demolition continues at the Royal Albion

The demolition of the Royal Albion has been hampered by the hotel’s basement and stormy weather, its neighbours have been told.

Since a blaze destroyed large parts of the listed seafront hotel, people living in the neighbouring Lace House have been unable to return to their homes.

At a meeting with council officers in September, they were told the demolition was taking so long partly because of the need to preserve or record what is left of the hotel – and partly because of weather and site logistics.

The wall next to Lace House – which at the time weighed about 300 tonnes – could collapse at any time, which would destroy the flats and kill anyone inside.

The council told them last month it hoped it would be safe enough to return in a couple of weeks – but stormy weather means this date is likely to slide even further.

The chair of the council’s housing committee, Gill Williams, said: “”We are very aware that three months on from the Royal Albion Hotel fire, there is understandable frustration from residents who still cannot access their homes.

“We had been hoping that the Lace House residents would be able to access their properties again by the end of next week. However, we’re sorry to say Storm Ciaran could cause further delays to the demolition.

“Our over-riding priority in managing the situation has always been public safety. The hotel building is in such a profoundly unsafe state that it represents a very real risk to people’s lives.”

Work did not start in earnest for several days as work was done to create 3D scans of the hotel and log heritage features, in consultation with Historic England.

Once it began, demolition crews had to take each piece of the upper floors of the hotel down individually for safety reasons.

Workers in cages lifted by cherry pickers have been using hand tools to dismantle the walls.

Work was complicated because the heavy machinery could not get close to the hotel because of fears the pavement could collapse into its basement below, which stretches into Pool Valley.

This work is on the verge of being completed, and after that the lower floors can be demolished much more quickly by machine.

At this point, a demolition curtain – a barrier between the hotel and Lace House – can be put in place to stop debris falling onto the flats.

But this can’t be used during stormy weather, and so the current spell of extreme weather has to pass before it can be put in place.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Barry Johnson says:
    3 years ago

    It is frankly unbelieveable that it has taken four months at public expense to do this, They also removed a facade at the front which looked completely saveable. They need to be shoring what’s left up at this point, not continuing to demolish.

    Reply
    • ChrisC says:
      3 years ago

      Are you a qualified structural engineer?

      Just because something looks saveable does not mean it is.

      Reply
  2. Brightybeach says:
    3 years ago

    I remember this back in July because I was going to trans pride but after the smoke came in my lounge window I decided to stay home because the Royal Albion hotel Brighton is riddled with asbestos
    I feel for the people who are homeless waiting to go home.
    The insurance company must be making a packet out of it
    It looks so sad driving past and then we have the roads ruined by the fire
    It’s ironic how many big storms we have had since the fire and another one due soon
    #asbestos
    Absolutely joke on the public

    Reply
  3. Nathan Adler says:
    3 years ago

    Literally the slowest demolition in history, someone is making a mint out of this. Residents should be properly compensated.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Storms and basements hamper Royal Albion demolition, neighbours told

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
November 2023
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News