• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Abuser walks free after court misses deadline by seconds

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 6 Nov, 2023 at 6:29PM
A A
6
One parking warden is attacked or abused every week in Brighton and Hove

Brighton Magistrates' Court

A violent abuser walked free from court today after the court missed the deadline to hear his case by a matter of seconds.

James Sinden, 40, was arrested at 11.25am in Brighton yesterday for breaching a domestic violence protection order.

But the law says he had to be brought before magistrates within 24 hours – and when the bench started sitting at 10am in Court 2 of Brighton Magistrates Court this morning, he was still in police cells.

The court was told he had not been put on the first van to court, and would be brought on the next one.

With the clock now ticking, the court was told shortly after 11am he was in the car park.

At 11.23am, the door to the dock was unlocked, and the custody staff brought him into court.

His defence counsel, Stephen Paley, appeared a minute later and took his place.

But the bench had retired for a break – and only made it back seconds after the 24 hours had expired.

Addressing the court on behalf of Sussex Police, barrister David Reader said: “This is the sixth order which has been made, and there have been multiple breaches.

“The defendant was arrested at 11.45am yesterday. The case has to be called in on time by 11.25am. It is now out of time.”

Sinden, who told the court he was living in Martlet Court, Brighton, looked confused but relieved as presiding magistrate Diane Hurrell told him: “If you breach this again, you will have two months in prison, have no doubt about that, none whatsoever.

“You are free to go.”

All six orders, which date back more than four years, required Sinden not to contact, harass or go to the address of his ex-partner.

Each order is made for 28 days and the current one expires on 16 November. Previous ones were made on 4 September 2023, 27 July 2023, 14 June 2022, 29 April 2020 and 28 August 2019.

In May 2020, he was sent to prison for 21 days for breaching the April 2020 order by contacting the woman- just days after being taken into custody for doing the same thing.

In August this year, he was fined £100 for breaching the July 2023 order when he became angry at her address and then was found by police hiding in a bush outside.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. DS says:
    3 years ago

    What a disaster. I hope that the victim remains safe and that they are supported to reduce their risk from James.

    Reply
  2. Benjamin says:
    3 years ago

    I would have thought the Golden Rule of statutory interpretation would apply in this instance to avoid a clear absurdity.

    Reply
  3. Phil says:
    3 years ago

    What an absolute joke. You only have to spend a day at Brighton Magistrates Court to witness the total, utter chaos and confusion that takes place on a daily basis. Was the police barrister not aware of the time constraint? Had he not read the detailed case file which would have been sent in by the police some days previously. At least briefly read it at the start of the day. And I wonder how much his law firm charged Sussex Police for his disastrous day in court.

    Reply
    • Jo Wadsworth says:
      3 years ago

      I may have to edit the story if it’s not clear, but the police barrister was reminding the court from the very start of the session at 10am that it was time limited. And he would only have been given the case file that morning, as Sinden was only arrested the day before – it’s a very tight 24 hour limit.

      From where I was sitting, the blame lay mostly at the feet of police transport. Although obviously there may have been reasons the court was unaware of to explain why he hadn’t been put on the first van of the day.

      But yes, you’re absolutely right about the delays to justice on a daily basis – most stemming from a creaking, underfunded system.

      Reply
  4. Anon says:
    3 years ago

    The police are not responsible for the transport to court I believe it’s an outside agency that do this part.

    Reply
  5. Jamie JT says:
    2 years ago

    I know this lovely lady who has been the victim of an horrendous domestic violence abuse. I would just like to say. Hopefully this is now going to be the end of this and hopefully she is now free to be herself 😆

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Abuser walks free after court misses deadline by seconds

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
November 2023
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News