• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

North Street to remain closed until Friday

Busy high street to remain closed for urgent roof repairs to Boots building

by Felice Southwell
Wednesday 10 Apr, 2024 at 3:46PM
A A
6
North Street still closed after concerns over roof safety

The cordon around the Boots building in North Street was manned by police

North Street is to stay closed until at least Friday lunchtime as builders work to make Boots’ roof safe.

A cordon around the building on the corner of North Street and Queens Road has been in place since yesterday lunchtime.

Since then, traffic has been diverted along the seafront and through North Laine due to the roof being damaged in Storm Kathleen.

Brighton and Hove City Council says that Boots are engaging contractors and agreeing a timescale to make the roof secure but that bad weather could delay the urgent repairs.

Businesses in the immediate area of the cordon will be asked to remain closed to protect their customers and staff.

Councillor Trevor Muten, chair of the Transport and Sustainability Committee, said: “The strong winds during Storm Kathleen earlier this week has caused damage to Boots roof requiring the closure of North Street in order to undertake urgent repairs.

“We wish to thank residents and businesses for their continued cooperation and patience while this is underway.

“We are working with Boots who are responsible for making the roof structure secure. They have told us that they are engaging contractors and the timescale is being agreed today.

“We’ve stressed to Boots the urgency of these repairs and of re-opening the roads affected for pedestrians, bus passengers and businesses.”

The council says the risk of materials becoming detached and falling onto the road below is a “very real and serious hazard” to pedestrians and vehicles.

A statement from the council says it has reiterated to Boots the need for the closure period to be kept to an absolute minimum.

Boots will deploy personnel to provide guidance to residents and visitors on alternative routes and facilitating urgent access.

A Boots spokesperson said: “The Boots store on North Street in Brighton remains open for customers via the Queens Road entrance.

“We are working hard to resolve the roofing issue, which was caused by high winds in the area as quickly and as safely as possible.”

Affected residents and local businesses are to be updated by letter this afternoon.

Nick Hill, commercial director at Brighton and Hove Buses, said: “North Street is the most used street on our network, with around 200 busy buses passing through each hour, and it is important to us to keep them running and thus keep more cars off the road.

“We currently have a number of diversions in place and we are monitoring traffic flow and making alterations where necessary to keep services moving while the works continue.

“Passengers can keep updated on these via our app and our website: buses.co.uk.”

Most of Brighton and Hove Buses’ routes will be diverted as a result. The affected services are:

1
1A
2
5
5A
5B
7
Coaster 12
12A
12X
14
14A
14C
18
21
22
24
26
Coaster Local 27
Regency 28
Regency 29
29A
29B
46
48
49
50

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. PUNTER123 says:
    2 years ago

    it does NOT requiring the closure of North Street = SCAREMONGERING NONSENSE =

    Reply
    • John Walker says:
      2 years ago

      Excellent argument from an authoritative standpoint, exercising your anonymity and constraint to prevent the reveal of your structural engineering credentials and your impact assessment on the potential for harm to the public, while still appearing to reach a conclusion. Well done.

      Reply
      • Juliette Jaccard says:
        2 years ago

        🤣 thank you for this

        Reply
  2. Michael+barry says:
    2 years ago

    WHY HASN’T NORTH STREET BEEN OPENED QUICKER IT’S TAKING HOURS TO COME ALONG THE SEAFRONT AND UP WEST STREET NOT GOOD ENOUGH TONY BLOOM FANCY A GAME OF CARDS TONE ?

    Reply
    • ChrisC says:
      2 years ago

      It will open quicker if people stoped posting all caps rants.

      Reply
  3. Gareth says:
    2 years ago

    Boots should be charged for the disruption they are causing. I suspect poor maintenance a bigger factor than high winds.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

New bus route to start next month

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

North Street to remain closed until Friday

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Emma Rice brings Malory Towers to Brighton Festival with music, mischief and midnight feasts

Midnight feasts, mischief and mayhem: Emma Rice’s Malory Towers delights at Brighton Festival

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
April 2024
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News