• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Charity prosecutes comedian over tweets to Brighton antisemitism campaigner

by Ellie Ng - PA
Thursday 5 Jun, 2025 at 2:01PM
A A
8
Charity prosecutes comedian over tweets to Brighton antisemitism campaigner

Comedian Reginald D Hunter is being prosecuted over alleged antisemitic social media posts he sent to a Brighton campaigner, a court heard.

The 56-year-old US stand-up is accused of three counts of sending an offensive communication on three different occasions – on August 24, September 10 and September 11 last year – to Heidi Bachram on X, formerly Twitter.

He was due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday but Deputy Chief Magistrate Tan Ikram issued a warrant for him to attend court on July 7 in his absence.

Prosecutor Donal Lawler told the court that Hunter is a “well-known comedian” who is being privately prosecuted by the Campaign Against Antisemitism (CAA) charity.

It is alleged Hunter sent a computer-generated sexual image to Ms Bachram in August last year, with the charges claiming it was “grossly offensive”.

On September 10 he is said to have tweeted Ms Bachram saying: “THIS is why I HATE these people and am committed to their destruction not because JEW hatred Not even because they are European Nazis pretending to be JEWS Because of all the lying. Mama HATED liars and bequeathed that hatred to ALL of her children.”

The following day, it is alleged he sent another message saying: “Hey sugar. I don’t hate you for being an agent of evil. Not new Not even uncommon. You being a liar a persistent liar KNOWING the truth, is why I will see you and your kind ended, even if it costs me EVERYTHING. You are not even a JEW. Run tell that.”

Hunter regularly tours the UK and has appeared on comedy panel shows Never Mind The Buzzcocks, Have I Got News For You and 8 Out Of 10 Cats.

Mr Lawler told the court on Friday that the comedian was due to begin a tour of England and Wales tomorrow.

The prosecutor said Hunter was scheduled to do a gig in London on July 6, adding that his legal team may be able to serve him his court summons in person at the venue on that date.

The CAA describes itself as an organisation of volunteers which works to “expose and counter antisemitism through education and zero-tolerance enforcement of the law”.

Stephen Silverman, the group’s director of investigations and enforcement, said: “This is one of a number of private prosecutions that we are bringing, and there will be more to say on the case in due course.”

Hunter’s representatives have been approached for comment.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 8

  1. Mark Fry says:
    12 months ago

    Remove his visa and send him back to the USA.

    Reply
  2. Charleysays says:
    12 months ago

    Anti-zionism is not anti-Semitism.

    Reply
  3. Hoveperson says:
    12 months ago

    Another anti semite who thinks he can get away with it because he’s famous. I hope he’s proved wrong.

    Reply
  4. Tom says:
    12 months ago

    Private prosecution? Now we have self appointed speech sheriff’s serving up notices to people they don’t like? How did we end up in this dark place?

    Reply
    • FBT says:
      12 months ago

      We’ve had private prosecutions for hundreds of years (so people could take someone to court without police/magistrates charges) – it was enshrined in law in 1985 way before the woke mind virus you’re presumably against even existed.

      Reply
  5. Martin says:
    12 months ago

    Israel is a Failed Terrorist State & calling out their war crimes is NOT antisemetic whatsoever

    Reply
  6. Clayton says:
    12 months ago

    Well I imagine he and his council will be feeling fairly relaxed right now.

    While there is a degree of protection in place for registered news agencies that is accompanied by an expectation that if something is deemed offensive enough to be taken to court then it should not be published verbatim as there is an implied assumption that to do so will likely cause equivalent offence to the public.

    Despite even our CPS and repeated Mob Handed Door Kicking squads smashing their way in to people’s lives over hurty words looking at this and, finally, after a supreme court judgment from last year explicitly telling them to pack it in or prepare for expensive suits against them for which they will not have the assumption of acting in the public interest & within the law, said. No thanks. We’re not touching this one.

    Based on the civil case having it’s foundations, obstentsively, built on the precise words, in the identical structure and in the same order. His lawyers now just need to produce this article, alongside a sworn affidavit or statement from the editor confirming no record of an official complaint being lodged by the plaintiff. That leaves two obvious observations of events.b
    1. The basis on the suit could be considered spurious or unfairly targeting the defendent as an identical public record was published within the location of the plaintiff and no comparable course of action or litigation was sought. .
    2. The thresholds required for it to satisfy as causing offence to a degree that is actionable have not been met due to ‘1.’

    I’m NOT defending the guys actions when it comes to the repeated direct and personal communications. But his defense just got easier

    Reply
  7. Al wills says:
    12 months ago

    Cancel him

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

1,500 homes without water

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Charity prosecutes comedian over tweets to Brighton antisemitism campaigner

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Café given go ahead to sell beer and margaritas with takeaway meals

Smoky saunas get up neighbours’ noses

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
‘Love Supreme Jazz Festival’ announces full 2026 line-up

‘Love Supreme Jazz Festival’ announces full 2026 line-up

20 May 2026
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
June 2025
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News