• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Royal Mail depot tweaks approved

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Thursday 4 Dec, 2025 at 3:58PM
A A
0
Royal Mail depot tweaks approved

Changes to the design of Royal Mail depot planned for Patcham were approved by councillors by nine votes to one.

Patcham and Hollingbury ward Conservative councillor Carol Theobald was the lone voice against the changes, although Royal Mail’s representatives faced a rigorous questioning from Brighton and Hove City Council’s Planning Committee today (Wednesday 3 December).

The adjustments approved by the committee include moving the loading bays for lorries from the northern end of the proposed distribution centre to the southern end – nearer to neighbours’ homes in Vale Avenue.

The postal business has included a proposed “green wall” to screen the loading bays and minimise any nuisance to people living closest to the site.

Royal Mail also wants to reconfigure the parking area, lower the site, put in retaining walls, realign pedestrian access and relocate a substation from the western side of the building to the eastern side.

Patcham resident Rebecca Mintrim reminded the committee that more than 1,100 people opposed the original scheme, which secured planning permission in September 2024.

She said: “What has been suggested are not minor amendments, they are big changes. They are cost-cutting measures that puts Royal Mail’s profits over our people.

“They fundamentally worsen the development, remove the mitigations on which planning consent was originally granted and introduce new harms to local residents.”

Relocating the manoeuvring area closer to the southern boundary brought heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) within 10 metres of bedrooms, she added.

In a joint statement, Conservative councillors for Patcham and Hollingbury Alistair McNair and Anne Meadows said: “We strongly object to the HGV operational yard being located to the south of the site, it’ll be significantly closer to residents, particularly 133 Vale Avenue and the residents in the village barn.

“With at least 28 movements of large HGVs per day, this will cause significant disturbance through noise and pollution and it was going to be bad enough anyway.”

Councillors McNair and Meadows also express disappointment to see a previously planned green roof and two swales on wildflower meadows removed.

Paul Bridson director of real estate at Royal Mail, said the changes to the design and layout of the site would “deliver operational improvements” for staff and respect the location.

Royal Mail’s planning agent, Paul Derry of Stantec, said the purpose of the application was to make improvements to the site for more efficient operations.

He said: “The revised layout sees an actual increase in on-site biodiversity net gain rather than a reduction.

“Another comment made is about reversing alarms on HGVs, there is a proposed condition that all HGVs will have those turned off.”

Councillor Theobald said: “I do not like it that they’ve changed the HGVs to the south, because they do make a lot of noise, especially when they’re backing, back, that’s not fair on the neighbours.

“The loss of the green roof is a shame, I think that would be good screening, and now we’ve got a very visible frontage there.”

Labour councillor Joy Robinson said the site is lower so it will be less visible.

Councillor Robinson said: “I feel comforted by the applicant explaining the noise levels and there is a lot of background noise in that area because of the A27.

“I think it’s good we have got stronger tree screening. It’s unfortunate that the HGVs are now closer to the homes, but if that’s what’s needed for safety, it’s going to be with us for a long time, so on balance I will vote for it.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

New bus route to start next month

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Royal Mail depot tweaks approved

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
December 2025
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News