Rubble and tar were left piled up against the wall of a house, prompting a resident to complain.
Workers placed a board on the grass outside a house in Mile Oak Road, Portslade, and piled rubble and soil on top of it from a hole in the road.
A fortnight after the work was completed earlier this month, the remaining asphalt along with a pair of traffic cones and a wheelbarrow topped off the pile.
The person who lives in the house, who asked not to be identified for professional reasons, said that he had contacted Brighton and Hove City Council.
He said: “I saw people here carrying out the roadworks and thought, ‘whatever.’ But they didn’t come back.
“When they put a board on the grass, I thought they would take it away.”
In an update on his post to a community Facebook group, the man said that he had spoken with someone in the council’s environmental services team who would be dealing with it.
Labour councillor Trevor Muten, the council’s cabinet member for transport and city infrastructure, said yesterday (Monday 18 May) that the waste had been cleared.
Councillor Muten said: “I know how precious these old flint walls are – and for tarmac to be set against one like this is not only very concerning, it is completely unacceptable.
“We have made it very clear to the contractor and the developer they were working for that we expect much better.
“This has been cleared today and our highways team will be visiting the site to make sure this has been done without causing any damage to the wall.
“If we are not completely satisfied, we will take the necessary steps to make sure any specialist repair or restoration work is paid for by those responsible.”







