• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Sussex Police celebrates top ranking for answering 999 calls

by Frank le Duc
Friday 19 Dec, 2025 at 12:01AM
A A
4
Sussex Police celebrates top ranking for answering 999 calls

Chief Superintendent Rachel Glenton

Sussex Police is celebrating after being ranked the top force in the country for answering 999 calls for four months running.

It is understood to be the first force to have performed best on this measure for four consecutive months and marks a notable turnaround.

National figures showed that Sussex answered more than 98 per cent of calls within 10 seconds, outperforming every other force in the UK from August to November.

Last month alone, the force received 22,077 emergency 999 calls, with an average answer time of four seconds.

In contrast, the figure eight years ago, in November 2017, was 81.7 per cent for 999 calls answered within 10 seconds.

In the same month, almost 40 per cent of those dialling 101 gave up waiting for an answer. The “abandonment” rate was just 1.6 per cent last month.

Chief Superintendent Rachel Glenton said that the transformation was, in part, down to new technology which was better at routing and managing 999 and 101 calls in the Force Contact and Control Room.

It meant, she said, “we can deploy people more quickly to where they are needed most.”

Alongside the introduction of new computer systems, the 300-plus staff who crew the contact and control centre round the clock and seven days a week have also been reorganised.

Chief Superintendent Glenton credited “advanced data analytics” as well, with experts using the technology to give the force a clearer overview of demand, staffing and available resources.

The chief superintendent added: “Behind every call is someone who needs help. Being ranked top in the country shows the commitment of our teams to being there for our communities when it matters most.

“This achievement is down to the dedication of our control and contact handlers, who work around the clock in our control room in Lewes, and the improvements we’ve made to our systems and processes to ensure we’re ready to respond.”

Two of the staff members in the contact and control room at police headquarters, David Severn, 26, and Joe Walker, 24, spoke about the pressures of the job. They commonly work 12-hour shifts – day and night.

As quickly as they can, they try to assess the need and the urgency when someone calls 999, as well as the vulnerabilities and the risks, as they work out how best Sussex Police can respond.

David Severn and Joe Walker

Some calls are harrowing, they said, such as hearing a victim of domestic violence pleading for help, but both took pride in being able to send help.

And while the job is a high-pressure role, with decisions having to be made at speed as they deal with callers in stressful situations, they also praised the support available.

On an informal level, they can talk to those working alongside them who share similar experiences. There are sometime more formal “defuse” meetings after a challenging emergency. And counselling is available.

Chief Superintendent Glenton praised the hard work and commitment of colleagues such as Mr Severn and Mr Walker as she reflected on the “phenomenal improvement” in performance.

She said: “They’re ultimate professionals. They spend a lot of time in here and they have to look out for each other.”

They were, she said, “really focused on the priorities – protecting the public, catching criminals and delivering outstanding service”.

She added: “We’re the first point of contact – and if we can get it right here, we give our teams on the ground the best chance of getting their bit right.”

The number of 999 and 101 calls and reports filed online has reached almost a million a year. The online reports tended to be less urgent but the aim was to respond within 24 hours.

The improved performance was not a one-off and the chief superintendent said: “It just shows how much we want to do well for people.

“Sussex Police remains committed to maintaining these high standards, ensuring emergency calls continue to be answered quickly and effectively so people receive help when they need it most.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Chips says:
    8 months ago

    Shame dont investigate crime properly

    Reply
  2. Trent says:
    8 months ago

    I thought 999 was just an answer machine service now? “Sorry we can’t get to the phone right now, all our officers are busy investigating naughty opinions on the internet.”

    Reply
    • John says:
      8 months ago

      Stop watching GBNEWS

      Reply
  3. Dave says:
    8 months ago

    They are good. Shame the police they support are so few in numbers that they don’t investigate crime. They just run around the city dealing with mental health breakdowns and domestic abuse. Good luck with theft, money laundering or drug dealing being investigated. Not their fault, some halfwit 14 years ago decided to sack 20000 police officers

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Sussex Police celebrates top ranking for answering 999 calls

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
December 2025
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News