• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

by Anahita Hossein-Pour - PA
Monday 17 Aug, 2026 at 10:40AM
A A
2
Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Yann Trupiano and Kimberley Newark in hospital with their baby girl Olivia Trupiano who died in September 2024

Grieving parents from Brighton have told of their heartbreak as an official watchdog gave maternity services the same rating after concerns were initially raised five years ago.

Maternity units at the Princess Royal Hospital (PRH), Haywards Heath, and St Richard’s Hospital, Chichester, were re-rated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) last month as “requires improvement” after an inspection late last year.

The maternity services, run by University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust, were first given that rating after a visit from the watchdog in 2021.

Kimberley Newark and Yann Trupiano lost their baby girl Olivia in September 2024 at the trust and said that the lack of an improved rating was “really concerning”.

Ms Newark, 32, said: “We get told things have been put in place but it’s not enough because it still requires improvement.

“It is really concerning. It’s heartbreaking to hear. There’s just going to be more and more issues that arise.

“Obviously change doesn’t happen overnight, especially in such a huge trust, but you would have thought after five years there would have been some sort of change where the rating would have gone up – and if not, why?”

Mr Trupiano, 44, said that he felt “tired” of hearing that improvements were needed and added that the trust needed to “walk the talk”.

Ms Newark went to the PRH in September 2024 with “severe” pain but felt “dismissed”. She was told that it could have had trapped wind.

In fact, she had a suspected ruptured splenic artery and an emergency caesarean section had to be carried out on Saturday 14 September.

Olivia was born with severe hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy, a critical brain injury, and died days later on Thursday 19 September at the Royal Sussex County Hospital, in Brighton.

Ms Newark said: “It ended in an awful situation where I nearly lost my life and our daughter did.”

An inquest looking at the circumstances of her death is due to be heard in October this year.

The trust said that it was “desperately sorry” for the loss of Olivia and the findings of two reviews into her care had been shared with her family. The trust had met the family to discuss concerns and would be happy to meet again should the family wish.

In addition, the trust said that it hoped that the inquest would give the family greater clarity and closure and the trust would “do everything we can to help the coroner address any remaining questions the family have”.

In the meantime, the couple, who live in Brighton, are calling for more education around situations like theirs and urged clinicians to listen to parents.

Ms Newark said: “I knew at that time, I wasn’t right. Something was wrong. I think the main thing at the moment is to really listen to patients and families.”

In the latest inspection of the PRH, the CQC rated the service as “good” for being effective and caring but when it came to being safe, well-led and responsive, it was rated “requires improvement”.

Inspectors found a previous legal breach on staffing remained and said that the service “did not have enough staff to keep women safe”.

Yann Trupiano and Kimberley Newark – the parents of Olivia Trupiano

Staff told inspectors that they felt tired and burnt out because of workforce pressures and demands on the service while shifts felt “increasingly overstretched”.

The CQC’s deputy director of hospitals and specialist care in the south east, Amanda Williams, said: “At Princess Royal Hospital, equipment failures regularly forced the maternity operating theatre to close, causing delays to planned caesarean sections and increasing anxiety for women waiting for treatment.”

Inspectors, however, also received feedback from women and partners who were positive about the service, many saying that they had been treated with dignity and respect through their care.

Of both hospital units, Ms Williams added: “Staff should be proud of the care they continue to provide under significant pressure and we will continue to monitor both services closely to ensure women and their babies remain safe while improvements are made.”

But of the CQC, Ms Newark said: “They should be concerned by requires improvement and the fact that it keeps coming up. What’s the point in doing these reports and reviews if nothing’s being done about it?”

The re-ratings come as the government has announced a maternity review of University Hospitals Sussex which will look at cases dating back to 2018, including all harmed and bereaved families.

Senior midwife and investigator Donna Ockenden will lead the review which is expected to look at more than 1,000 cases.

The campaign group Truth for Our Babies, made up of affected families including Ms Newark and Mr Trupiano, had been calling for the move.

Ms Newark said: “It’s horrible to have to be a part of such a group but it’s nice to know we aren’t necessarily alone and we can try to fight together.

A maternity negligence specialist at Tees Law, Gwyneth Munjoma, said that the CQC report showed why the maternity review in Sussex was needed to “enforce real accountability and change”.

Until then, she said, this was an urgent public health issue which “demands urgent intervention from the independent regulator now”.

The CQC said that after its inspection, which found that some progress had been made but that the trust needed to do more, it asked leaders to submit an action plan on how they would address specific issues.

Donna Ockenden

The watchdog said: “We have also made clear what regulatory action we will take if we’re not reassured by their plan. NHS hospital maternity services are subject to close regulatory oversight.

“Where we have identified concerns about the quality and safety of care, we have held those trusts to account and required improvements to be made.”

The CQC added that it knew that there were families who felt that the watchdog had not taken sufficient action to act on their concerns and they wanted to work with them to help “amplify our calls for greater efforts to strengthen maternity safety across the board”.

Meanwhile, the hospital trust has said that it “absolutely accepts” the CQC’s conclusion that further improvements were needed and it was working hard to address issues and improve care.

Gail Byrne, interim chief nurse at the trust, said: “We have increased theatre capacity and staffing levels, strengthened how we collect and monitor key safety information and reviewed and updated policies and clinical guidance.

“These changes all represent progress but we know this vital work must continue. We know there is more to do, for everyone using our services.

“Listening to women and families, learning from their experiences and acting on what they tell us will remain at the heart of our commitment to providing safe, compassionate and high-quality care for every family.”

She added that the trust welcomed the CQC’s recognition of many improvements made in recent years, the maternity team’s compassion and dedication to their work and positive feedback from women and their loved ones.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Chris says:
    2 days ago

    The NHS doesn’t care. Sooner or later it will get so bad that even the most anti change will agree that it needs to be semi privatised with state funding of insurance.

    Reply
    • Benjamin™ says:
      24 hours ago

      I hold the opposite view, I think the majority of the staff at the NHS do, in fact, care. My own experiences tells me that the NHS is slow to modernise, clings to tradition, and management appears detached.

      Pharmacy is an excellent example, it was one of the last bastions of companies that still relied on a fax machine, and the saga that was providing summary care record access.

      I think before thinking about insurance models, just overhauling, modernising, and streamlining the various convuluted systems is a good first step!

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
August 2026
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Jul    

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News