• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

by Frank le Duc
Sunday 23 Aug, 2026 at 7:18AM
A A
2
Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Constance Marten

Constance Marten has been given permission to appeal against the 14-year prison sentence that she is serving for manslaughter after her baby died while she was on the run from the authorities.

Aristocrat Marten, 39, and convicted rapist Mark Gordon, 52, were in hiding when their baby daughter, Victoria, died in a tent on the South Downs in January 2023.

They fled to prevent Victoria from being taken into care, as four other siblings had been before, their trial was told at the Central Criminal Court, better known as the Old Bailey, in London.

Marten and Gordon were found guilty of her gross negligence manslaughter, child cruelty, concealing the birth of a child and perverting the course of justice after two trials spanning six months each.

Judge Mark Lucraft jailed them both for 14 years and imposed an extended sentence on Gordon, requiring him to serve a further four years on licence, giving him a total sentence of 18 years.

Marten has now been granted permission to appeal against her sentence and she has renewed her application for permission to appeal against her conviction for gross negligence manslaughter.

A court date is yet to be set.

Judge Lucraft accepted the prosecution case that baby Victoria died from hypothermia after being exposed to “significant cold stress”.

He rejected the defendants’ claims that Victoria was smothered in a “terrible accident” as they slept in their tent.

The offending was made worse because the baby was vulnerable and the defendants had failed to heed previous warnings.

In a televised sentencing, Judge Lucraft told the defendants: “It is clear throughout the period neither of you gave much or any thought for the care or love for your baby.”

The judge said that they had shown “arrogance” and treated Victoria to “neglect of the most serious type”.

Police began a nationwide hunt for the couple and their newborn baby after their car caught fire on a motorway near Bolton, in the Greater Manchester area, on Thursday 5 January 2023.

The defendants went “off-grid”, travelling across the country and sleeping in a tent on the South Downs where baby Victoria died some days later.

After seven weeks on the run, the defendants were arrested in the Hollingdean area of Brighton on Monday 27 February.

Constance Marten and Mark Gordon

Two days later on Wednesday 1 March, after a desperate search, police found their baby dead amid rubbish inside a Lidl “bag for life” in a nearby disused shed.

Baby Victoria’s remains were too badly decomposed for a pathologist to be able to establish her contested cause of death.

Jurors were told that Marten had been warned before by social workers about the risk of falling asleep with a baby lying on her and that a tent was unsuitable.

At Swansea Family Court in July 2018, District Judge Marjory Taylor found that the couple had “poor decision-making skills” and a “potential to act impulsively”.

The judge said: “There are some concerns that on occasions these parents prioritise their own relationship over (their baby’s) needs.”

Until recently, secrecy surrounded the family court, with most hearings held in private and journalists banned from reporting anything about them.

But the BBC led a legal challenge which resulted in the publication of court papers from a series of hearings over five years.

The family court judgments provided important insights into the couple’s chaotic life together and the danger that judges had found that they posed to their first four children.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Ann E Nicky says:
    6 hours ago

    I hope that they increase her sentence.

    Reply
    • Davey Scott says:
      5 hours ago

      To bloody right, should have thrown away the key,

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
August 2026
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Jul    

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News