• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Clampdown coming on pavement parking near Brighton hospital

by Frank le Duc
Friday 11 Oct, 2013 at 12:59PM
A A
4

Drivers who park on the pavements and verges in Elm Grove in Brighton risk receiving a parking ticket after councillors voted for a clampdown.

Sussex Police and Brighton and Hove City Council are expected to organise a “joint initiative” to tackle “parking contraventions, obstructions and other nuisances on the public highway”.

Green councillors and two Conservatives voted in favour of the crackdown in the street leading up to Brighton General Hospital at the council’s Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee this week.

Labour members tried to persuade the committee to put off enforcement for 12 months to give the community a chance to come up with a solution to the area’s parking problems.

An earlier proposal to create a controlled parking zone in Hanover and Elm Grove proved deeply unpopular and was thrown out.

More recent plans to create free parking bays and landscaping – making it harder to park on the verges and pavements – were also rejected during a consultation.

Some drivers currently block pavements making it hard or impossible for people in wheelchairs or parents with buggies to get past.

Where there are double yellow lines on the road, those parked on the pavement face the prospect of a parking ticket. Likewise, where there is an obstruction.

About 70 cars are likely to be displaced by enforcement although many of the neighbouring streets are narrow, cramped and overcrowded with cars and vans.

Council official Owen McElroy told committee members: “There is no offence of parking on the footway but if it’s causing an obstruction or a person is witnessed driving on the footway or the pavement it is an offence and a matter for the police.

“If a vehicle that is parked on the footway but not behind double yellow lines, nothing can be done.

“The yellow lines were put down in the 1980s and they were reviewed last year. The reason they were put down was to make junctions safe.”

Councillor Emma Daniel, who recently won the by-election in the ward for Labour, asked the committee to hold off for 12 months.

She said: “Please give this community a chance to come up with a scheme that the community supports and will be self-enforcing. Don’t let those 70 cars be displaced into surrounding streets.

Councillor Christopher Hawtree said: “Previous administrations have not dealt with this so we’re having to deal with it. This is about safety. This is also about trying to make Elm Grove better. We’re not doing it in a draconian way.”

Councillor Gill Mitchell said: “There’s a whole constituency here which is being ignored – the residents of Elm Grove and the side streets.

“Residents were asked if they wanted a residents parking zone and the ward councillors campaigned against it and so did the then Green candidate in the general election.

“Residents were then told there was going to be immediate enforcement.”

She criticised that approach but added: “We don’t condone the illegal parking practices in Elm Grove. But the council has to enforce parking consistently across the city.”

Councillor Dee Simson said: “I can’t see this being a long-term solution if you haven’t got the buy-in of the community.”

Committee chairman Councillor Pete West, a Green, said: “We don’t have to give officers permission to enforce the law but we are giving our consent to a package with the police.

“We have given ample opportunity for grassroot schemes. This whole proposal came out of consultations with the community.

“We can continue to have dialogue with the community. Meanwhile we have a responsibility for road safety and legality.

“What would be extremely welcome coming from the community is a proposal and evidence of support for their proposal.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Mike Eadse says:
    13 years ago

    How many alleged obstructions by parking have there been in the Elm Grove area.?
    Very few I bet .The parking area is not on soft grass ,so no damage there then.
    The Council are using their favourite displacement tactic hoping that vehicles
    Unable to park move to neighbouring streets.
    Then the residents will vote for yet another controlled zone.
    With all the revenue that will bring in.
    If ever Elm Grove becomes a controlled Zone the Council will dig up all the hard verges and install meter bays all down road .More noise and disruption for everyone

    Reply
  2. Mike Eadse says:
    13 years ago

    How many alleged obstructions by parking have there been in the Elm Grove area.?
    Very few I bet .The parking area is not on soft grass ,so no damage there then.
    The Council are using their favourite displacement tactic hoping that vehicles
    Unable to park move to neighbouring streets.
    Then the residents will vote for yet another controlled zone.
    With all the revenue that will bring in.
    If ever Elm Grove becomes a controlled Zone the Council will dig up all the hard verges and install meter bays all down road .More noise and disruption for everyone

    Reply
  3. Kit Kat says:
    13 years ago

    Spot on – of course that’s the game! So how do we stop all this? It’s such a huge nut to crack.

    Reply
  4. Kit Kat says:
    13 years ago

    Spot on – of course that’s the game! So how do we stop all this? It’s such a huge nut to crack.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Clampdown coming on pavement parking near Brighton hospital

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
October 2013
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News