• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton protest led to 53 arrests but no charges and a £100,000-plus bill

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 14 Oct, 2010 at 5:45PM
A A
0

Fifty-three people were arrested in Brighton yesterday during a protest but all of them have been released without charge.

Sussex Police said that most of the arrests during the Smash EDO demonstration were made to prevent a breach of the peace.

The force estimates that the bill for policing the protests will be more than £100,000 although it does not yet have a final figure.

The protesters were trying to target the EDO MBM Technology factory in Home Farm Road, Moulsecoomb.

About 200 people took part in the protest – called Hammertime by the organisers.

And about 250 police officers were deployed, some from other areas.

Chief Superintendent Graham Bartlett, the Brighton and Hove district commander and the officer in charge of policing the demo, said: “There were more arrests this time than in previous years to prevent additional disruption to the community.

“The public rely on us to reduce disruption to their lawful activities and to prevent serious offences so that is what we did.

“The majority of arrests were to prevent a breach of the peace and all of these people were released without charge when the risk of a breach of the peace had been averted.”

Sussex Police said that, in addition to the arrests made for breach of the peace, officers also detained ten other people.

A man, 28, and a woman, 22, were arrested mid-afternoon on suspicion of criminal damage after an attempt to glue themselves to the RBS bank in the town centre. They have been bailed for further inquiries.

Two men, aged 18 and 39, were arrested for affray near Brighton Station later in the afternoon and have been bailed.

A man, 31, and a woman, 48, were arrested for stealing a bicycle, and the woman for having drugs. Both were bailed.

A man, 22, was arrested for the theft of a mobile phone SIM card.

A man, 25, and woman, 20, were cautioned for having cannabis.

A 42-year-old man arrested for having a knife as he made his way to the protest meeting point. He faces no further action.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Brighton protest led to 53 arrests but no charges and a £100,000-plus bill

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
October 2010
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News