• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

How ticketing travellers’ vans in Preston Park took five days and 25 emails

by bhnews
Friday 1 Aug, 2014 at 7:00AM
A A
2

The difficulties in dealing with traveller encampments have been highlighted in a five-day discussion on how best to ticket travellers’ vans – despite the fact they would probably never be paid.

A chain of emails, sent over the course of five days in May this year, has just been published following a Freedom of Information request.

It was sparked by a tweet on May 23 complaining about travellers driving over Preston Park, where an unauthorised encampment had set up.

Hey @jasonkitcat I appreciate the delicate nature of dealing with travellers but driving across Preston Park is dangerous.

— Another Runner (@AnotherRunHQ) May 23, 2014

It then turns to the issue of ticketing vehicles parked on the grass  – complicated by a recent alleged assault on a member of the public who had challenged them, not to mention problems wardens had in the past.

Eventually, on May 27, it was agreed the police would accompany parking wardens (civil enforcement officers or CEOs) once a day – by which time 25 emails had been sent to 21 different people working for Brighton and Hove City Council, parking enforcement contractors NSL and Sussex Police – with references to further conversations too.

Giles Gailer, who sent the original tweet, was fascinated to read the correspondence, as he says he didn’t receive a direct response to his tweet.

He said: “I live near by and walk my dogs on the park several times a day, and know from personal and anecdotal experience how aggressive the travellers can be and how passive the council and police can be.

“I would want the council to be more proactive and treat the travellers the same as they treat other users of the Park. No one should be afraid of doing their job or walking across the park.

“Having seen the amount of council time that my simple tweet resulted in, I want to see my money spent in a more cost effective manner. More action is required.”

A council spokesman said: “We respond to each encampment on a case by case basis, with NSL working alongside the Traveller Liaison team and the police, as appropriate.

“We’ve also just agreed a new process (last week) where NSL will now attend the initial site assessment alongside the police and Traveller Liaison so we can determine what enforcement is possible and even give NSL the opportunity to enforce right from the outset where they can.”

The chain of correspondence was revealed in a response to a Freedom of Information request made on the WhatDoTheyKnow website and published on the council’s website here.

Council leader Jason Kitcat starts by emailing officers asking if anything can be done about antisocial driving in the park.

Councillor Pete West replies, also raising the issue of parking. He says: “This week there was an incident reported of a park user smashed over the head with a bottle by someone they challenged for parking on the grass in the park – Police investigating.

“If travellers are driving around the park I truly fear for the integrity of the parking scheme and for public safety.  Please can we press the Police to s61 [move them on for antisocial behaviour.”

An officer then queries reports that parking wardens have been told by the council not to issue tickets this time.

This is eventually passed to the contractors responsible for issuing tickets, NSL, who say they will not approach the encampment without police escort – but the police initially say that they will only attend if and when an incident occurs, and will not act as the parking wardens’ “bouncers”.

Eventually, the police agree to act as escort, and enforcement is set to begin once a day.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Pork William says:
    12 years ago

    As usual, the incompetent and incapable Green Council (typically, completely out of their depth in attempting to administer Brighton) will let gypsies run-riot around the city’s parks. Police and Council will stand-aside and watch these foul individuals engage in criminality, whilst hard-working, law-abiding tax payers bear the brunt of such behaviour.

    Not long until the wretched Greens are removed from power…

    Reply
  2. Pork William says:
    12 years ago

    As usual, the incompetent and incapable Green Council (typically, completely out of their depth in attempting to administer Brighton) will let gypsies run-riot around the city’s parks. Police and Council will stand-aside and watch these foul individuals engage in criminality, whilst hard-working, law-abiding tax payers bear the brunt of such behaviour.

    Not long until the wretched Greens are removed from power…

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

How ticketing travellers’ vans in Preston Park took five days and 25 emails

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

1,500 homes without water

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Irvine Welsh Men In Love, Charleston Festival, May 23rd

Irvine Welsh Updates Trainspotting

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
August 2014
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Thatched roof catches fire 14 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News