• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton suburbs to get better buses

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 22 Jan, 2015 at 2:20PM
A A
0
Brighton suburbs to get better buses

The number 22 bus to Woodingdean by Matt Davis on Flickr

The number 22 bus to Woodingdean by Matt Davis on Flickr
The number 22 bus to Woodingdean by Matt Davis on Flickr

Bus routes to Brighton’s suburban areas are set to improve following feedback from residents.

Last year, Brighton and Hove Buses made several changes to bus routes serving Hollingdean and Woodingdean as part of a tweaks to the winter timetable.

Now, more changes are to be made or considered after residents of both areas complained they were worse off than before.

Hollingdean residents were unhappy when the 50 service ran into the city centre less frequently and stopped short of Brighton Station during the day.

After pressure from the Hollingdean local action team, led by Councillor Jeane Lepper, Brighton and Hove Buses now plans that from April five buses an hour will run again from Hollingdean to the city until mid-afternoon on weekdays. Buses will also continue to Brighton Station for an hour longer in the mornings, until 9.15am, so that people can use the service to catch off-peak trains departing after 9am.

Tracey Hill, one of Labour’s local election candidates for Hollingdean and Stanmer who helped publicise the meetings, called for more feedback after the changes.

She said: “The 50 is vital for people in Hollingdean who would otherwise be cut off from the rest of the city. These changes are positive but there are still some who will be disappointed that the 50 no longer goes to Brighton Station all day, as people who are ill or disabled have said that having to change buses makes the journey a lot more difficult.”

Brighton buses managing director Martin Harris said: “Engaging with the community through the work of Councillor Lepper as chair of the Local Action Team has led to improved frequencies during the middle of the day and extra journeys to the station in the morning. This is a very good outcome for everyone concerned.”

Meanwhile, a review of the number 2 and 22 routes serving Woodingdean is to be launched with a public consultation on how the routes and reliability can be improved.

Mr Harris said: “Engaging with the local community is an important aspect of partnership working that we  are very committed to.

“There will still be choices and decisions to be made but working with the community generates new ideas and options to consider, and helps us make better informed decisions with a better understanding of how those decisions affect the people living in the communities we serve.”

Brighton Kemptown MP Simon Kirby welcomed the news. He said: “Having repeatedly raised the issue of bus services in the area, particularly for Woodingdean, I am delighted that Brighton and Hove Bus Company have decided to review these routes and will be looking into how the reliability can be improved.

“I hear from constituents in Woodingdean almost weekly regarding their bus service, and I am so delighted that the Bus Company will be looking into fixing this long-standing problem.

“This is fantastic news for the people of Woodingdean who rely on the bus services.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Moped rider held on suspicion of drug dealing

Car showroom to become supermarket

Brighton suburbs to get better buses

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Woman guilty of stealing hostage memorial

Paraglider injured in crash at Devil’sDyke

Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

16 February 2026
Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

15 February 2026
An aural onslaught from GBH and friends

An aural onslaught from GBH and friends

14 February 2026
Stella Rose & Bande Á Part in action in Brighton

Stella Rose & Bande Á Part in action in Brighton

13 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
3

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
January 2015
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
  • Primary school teacher charged with sexually assaulting two children 14 February 2026
  • Police staff member spared prison for having child porn 14 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News