• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Health Secretary to visit Brighton hospital tomorrow

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 25 Feb, 2015 at 7:59PM
A A
1
Health Secretary to visit Brighton hospital tomorrow

Simon Kirby presenting a petition to Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt is to visit the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton tomorrow (Thursday 26 February).

Hopes are high that he will announce the final approval of the hospital’s modernisation plans.

When the outline business case was approved almost a year ago, the project was expected to cost £420 million. The Chancellor George Osborne came to the hospital to announce his approval in person.

Since then Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs the Royal Sussex, has been working on finalising the project proposal and the costings with the lead contractor Laing O’Rourke.

Simon Kirby presenting a petition to Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt
Simon Kirby presenting a petition to Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt

The total cost of the project, which will take eight years to complete, is now £480 million.

Simon Kirby, the Conservative MP for Brighton Kemptown, is expected to meet the Health Secretary when he arrives in Brighton tomorrow.

Mr Kirby said: “I have been busy lobbying both the Chancellor George Osborne and Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt to approve an additional £60 million for the redevelopment of the Royal Sussex County Hospital.

“I successfully campaigned in support of the hospital’s outline business case for £420 million, petitioning the Health Secretary, bringing the Chancellor to the hospital and raising the issue with the Prime Minister during PMQs (Prime Minister’s Questions).

“Following this campaign, the government approved this funding in May 2014.

“Subsequently the hospital has been working hard to finalise the proposal and is now requesting additional funding.

“I have been working hard to convince both the Treasury and the Department of Health that this further funding is absolutely necessary.
“This extra money will allow the local NHS Trust to commence work with complete certainty.

“I have made sure that both the Health Secretary and the Chancellor are acutely aware of how important this hospital is to everyone in Brighton and the surrounding area and the local desire for this additional funding to be approved as soon as possible and I look forward to welcoming the Health Secretary to the Royal Sussex.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. feline1 says:
    11 years ago

    At least, it *rhymes* with Hunt…

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Health Secretary to visit Brighton hospital tomorrow

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
February 2015
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
232425262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News