• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton Conservative candidate brushes off Green rival’s question over donor’s influence

by Frank le Duc
Friday 10 Apr, 2015 at 7:21PM
A A
1
Brighton Green candidate begins his election campaign

Davy Jones

A Green candidate in the general election has questioned whether his Conservative rival has been swayed by two donations from a Brighton land owner.

The suggestion – made by Davy Jones who is standing in Brighton Kemptown – has been dismissed by Simon Kirby, the Tory who won the seat from Labour five years ago.

Davy Jones
Davy Jones

Mr Jones said that he had been active in the various Save our Deans campaigns since they started.

He said that Mr Kirby had opposed the plans for Meadow Vale and some other developments in the area.

But he had stayed silent on the prospect of plans for housing at Badgers Walk, off Ovingdean Road.

Mr Jones wrote about the way that the land had been cleared recently as if being made ready for building.

And he said that the owner of the land at Badgers Walk, Peter McDonnell, appeared to have twice given £2,000 to Mr Kirby’s campaign in the past year. At £4,000 he was the biggest single donor.

He said: “Simon Kirby’s Ovingdean constituents will be asking whether he will is fighting their corner or pushing the interests of developers and landowners looking to build on our cherished downland.”

Mr Kirby said: “I am always grateful to the many local people who have been impressed enough by my work as the local MP to donate to my campaign but I am always clear that a donation to my campaign does not confer any influence over my decisions on issues.

“My view on development – right across the constituency – has been incredibly clear and consistent.

“I will always oppose inappropriate development and have made it very clear that my view is that the council, who decide on planning issues, should be looking at brownfield sites and city centre sites before even considering greenfield sites in areas like Ovingdean.

Simon Kirby
Simon Kirby

“I have proved in the past my dedication to supporting local residents on this issue through my campaign against the proposals at Meadow Vale.

“I have also met with the organiser of the Save Longhill Wood campaign group to offer my support to the campaign and have been advising and assisting the campaign.

“I raised the concerns of local residents regarding the clearance at Badgers Walk on a number of occasions.

“Additionally, from correspondence I have had from the city council, I understand that no planning applications have been submitted for Badgers Walk.

“Should such an application be made and local residents felt it inappropriate I would of course, as I have always done, stand alongside residents.

“As someone who has worked incredibly hard to protect green spaces, it is disappointing that other candidates, for political reasons, would seek to misrepresent my position.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Gerald Wiley says:
    11 years ago

    It is sad when candidates of all parties have to start making insinuations about others rather than promoting their own talents.

    Mind you, it must be difficult if you don’t have any real track record of accomplishments in business or political life to present to the voting public.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Brighton Conservative candidate brushes off Green rival’s question over donor’s influence

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
April 2015
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News