• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

University paper seized and editor suspended by students’ union

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 28 Sep, 2015 at 9:05PM
A A
0
University paper seized and editor suspended by students’ union

The University of Sussex’s student newspaper has been seized, its website frozen and editor suspended today after a story about the university was published without permission.

The BadgerThe University of Sussex Students Union told journalists at The Badger it was not allowed to distribute the paper this morning, and by this afternoon the paper’s Twitter account was reporting the union was attempting to seize copies too.

At issue, the journalists say, was an article about a student who was taking legal action against the university.

They are now intending on giving out copies of the paper themselves at midday in Library Square on Falmer campus.

By this evening, journalists’ access to the website had been revoked and its editor in chief Paul Millar suspended.

The paper’s remaining staff released a statement this evening said: “This week The Badger wanted to report on legal proceedings against the University by a former student.

“The Students’ Union did not not cite any clear or specific legal reasons for blocking publication.

“The Badger has received independent legal advice saying all content was legally sound.

“We were advised that there could be no legal repercussions brought against the paper, its publisher (University of Sussex Students’ Union) or its writers as a result of the article.

“Our editor sent the paper to print, despite not having permission from the Students’ Union.

“The Students Union seized copies of the paper and we suspended distribution.

“We strongly feel that our editorial independence has been compromised by the incident.

“Our democratically elected Editor, Paul Millar, has been suspended and we call for his immediate reinstatement.

“We are writers. We write about arts, sports, science and our opinions. We report news. We don’t want to argue with the union. We just want to write. The students of Sussex deserve to have an editorially independent newspaper.

“We intend to distribute the issue tomorrow, regardless of Union opinion at midday in Library square.”

However, the union said it had taken action to cover its own back in the case of legal action.

It said: “Each issue of The Badger has to be signed off by a Students’ Union representative before it is sent to print to ensure it complies with relevant legislation and to avoid the threat of litigation.

“This ensures The Badger is operating within the law and protects the union and student journalists from potentially costly legal cases as the union is the publisher of The Badger.

“This process had not been followed for the most recent issue. The Badger were asked not to distribute the paper until it had been signed off in the correct way.

“We are investigating how this occurred so cannot comment further at this point.

“We hope to resolve this as soon as possible.”

And The Badger’s acting editor, Daniel Green said later: “I am due to have discussions with the students’ union about the paper tomorrow morning and I hope we can come to a peaceful resolution solve the issues which have arisen.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

University paper seized and editor suspended by students’ union

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

1,500 homes without water

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Irvine Welsh Men In Love, Charleston Festival, May 23rd

Irvine Welsh Updates Trainspotting

19 May 2026
Snow Along The Line – a celebration of the life of an extraordinary woman – Preview

Snow Along The Line – review

19 May 2026
Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

18 May 2026
A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food  with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

18 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
September 2015
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Thatched roof catches fire 14 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News