• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Home Office admits £11m mistake in funding plan for Sussex Police

by Frank le Duc
Monday 9 Nov, 2015 at 3:49AM
A A
0

Cuts to police numbers in Brighton and Hove could be less severe than expected after the Home Office admitted getting its sums wrong.

While many forces will be worse off as a result of the error, Sussex Police is expected to be in a better financial position.

Sussex had expected to lose £3 million a year under changes to the way the Home Office calculated grants. Instead it is likely to gain £8 million, leaving the force £11 million better off.

The revised figures are the result of civil servants using the wrong data in relation to deprivation. Although parts of Brighton and Hove – and the wider county of Sussex – are relatively well off, the force also covers some of the most deprived parts of the country.

Katy Bourne
Katy Bourne warned about changes to come as a result of funding cuts when she gave a briefing with Chief Constable Giles York in March

The news about the miscalculation comes days after the Sussex police and crime commissioner (PCC) Katy Bourne had publicly set out her concerns.

Earlier this year Mrs Bourne and the chief constable of Sussex, Giles York, said that funding changes meant that the force had to save about £56 million over the coming four to five years.

In March Mrs Bourne and Mr York said that Sussex Police was looking at cutting 1,000 jobs – about one in five employees.

At least 500 police officers were expected to go, with neighbourhood policing likely to hardest hit.

And a further 200 support staff jobs were slated to go along with 300 more jobs which could be drawn from police ranks or support roles.

The force had already made savings of £50 million over the previous five years at the cost of hundreds of jobs, although neighbourhood policing had been largely protected.

On Thursday (5 November) Mrs Bourne said that she wanted to reassure residents and police officers that she was lobbying hard to secure a fair funding deal from government.

She said: “I have spoken to ministers and officials directly and briefed our local MPs on how the proposed police funding formula could further disadvantage the force.

Chief Constable Giles York
Chief Constable Giles York, speaking in March, set out new ways of working as Sussex Police faced the prospect of cutting £56 million more from its budget

“Other PCCs and forces are making similar representations depending upon how they interpret the likely impact of the new formula.

“Having heard different views and figures expressed in the media, I thought I should clarify the current funding position.

“There are two elements that make up the funding allocation for policing in Sussex – a government grant (the largest amount) and a local contribution from council tax (a smaller amount).

“Although Sussex is the 10th largest force in England and Wales (by population) it currently receives the 14th lowest government grant per head of population and has the 4th lowest precept (local council tax element).

“The amount that Sussex receives for policing from the government grant is determined by a funding formula and the government is currently consulting on changing this formula.

“Under the proposed new funding formula, the government grant would drop by a further 5.1 per cent, equivalent to £7.7m in Sussex.

“Our neighbouring force Surrey, by comparison, could see a 3.9 per cent increase in funding.

“There is currently a 1.99 per cent cap on the precept level, which constrains PCCs from asking householders to contribute more funding to support specific areas of investment requested by chief constables.

“As the law stands, any PCC wanting to increase the precept by more than 1.99 per cent would need to hold a public referendum which would be a costly exercise in itself.

“I am therefore, pushing on two fronts: for the government to reconsider how the new grant formula is calculated and applied and for a degree of flexibility on the precept cap.

“Over the past two years, residents have shown their willingness to contribute more through local tax to policing but I have always sought to keep any rise very modest.

“I have recently launched a public consultation to see if local people would be prepared to pay a greater amount per household for policing and I will keep this consultation open until the new year.”

To find out more about the consultation, click here.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Home Office admits £11m mistake in funding plan for Sussex Police

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 3: 20 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 3: 20 reviews)

22 May 2026
Penelope Isles announce concert dates including 2 Brighton gigs

Penelope Isles announce concert dates including 2 Brighton gigs

22 May 2026
Sound Of Wunderlich, Brighton Fringe, 21st May 2026

The Mayhem of The Sound Of Wunderlich

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
November 2015
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News