• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Can you help solve theft from Hove pensioners?

by Frank le Duc
Friday 12 Feb, 2016 at 12:29PM
A A
1
Can you help solve theft from Hove pensioners?

Sanders House theft suspect

A councillor has appealed for help solving a theft that left old people without a television, games console, DVD player and fitness DVDs.

A thief cleared out the lounge at Sanders House, a sheltered housing block in Ingram Crescent West, Hove.

Councillor Robert Nemeth has taken the unusual step of sharing CCTV images of the suspect because Sussex Police and Brighton and Hove City Council have not done so.

Sanders House theft suspect
Sanders House theft suspect

He and his fellow ward councillor Garry Peltzer Dunn were frustrated that more had not been done to identify the thief who raided Sanders House more than two months ago.

Councillor Nemeth said that £400 had been raised by Sussex Freemasons from the friends of former Hove mayor Barry Sanders. The sheltered block is named after Mr Sanders.

But there was a reluctance to spend the money without being sure that proper steps had been taken to prevent the replacements from also being stolen.

His concerns were heightened by the armed robbery of a convenience store just round the corner in Portland Road less than a fortnight ago.

Armed robber caught on camera in a convenience store in Portland Road, Hove
Armed robber caught on camera in a convenience store in Portland Road, Hove

The same gun-wielding robber is believed to have held up another convenience store in Hangleton on Tuesday (9 February).

Councillor Nemeth said: “We have done all in our power to stand up for our elderly residents against cowardly individuals who have stolen from them.

“Neither the council nor police will release CCTV footage from during the theft so we are doing it ourselves in the hope that somebody will recognise them.

Councillor Robert Nemeth
Councillor Robert Nemeth

“We put the safety of our residents above the rights of cowardly criminals.”

The lack of action had left the residents of Sanders House feeling frightened and alone, he said.

And there seemed to be more concern among officials about the privacy – or “data protection rights” – of the criminal rather than the rights of the victims.

Anyone who recognises the suspect or has any information about the thefts is asked to phone Sussex Police on 101 or email 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk quoting reference 0415 of 23/11.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Beverley WEeaver says:
    11 years ago

    so why is the police and council not releasing the footage and making it available.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Can you help solve theft from Hove pensioners?

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
February 2016
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
29  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News