• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Dozens of vulnerable people may be forced to move, say Brighton and Hove Greens

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 19 Apr, 2016 at 7:16AM
A A
1
Opposition parties criticise Labour over council chief’s departure

Councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty

Fifty one vulnerable people could be forced from their homes, according to Brighton and Hove Greens.

They have urged a rethink about the way homes are provided and run for people with learning disabilities.

They said that the current set up – a number of smaller homes – had been deemed not to be cost-effective as Brighton and Hove City Council made spending cuts.

The Greens said that proposals being discussed by the Brighton and Hove Health and Wellbeing Board “could see some of the most vulnerable residents forced out of homes they have lived in for decades”.

They said: “Currently, despite most learning disability care homes being provided by other providers, the council still provides accommodation and care for 51 people with learning disabilities in-house.

Councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty
Councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty

“Families have said these are residents with some of the highest needs in the city, with many requiring two staff to support them round the clock.

“The council is proposing to contract external organisations to provide care and accommodation in a more ‘cost-effective’ way.

“During consultation, families were presented with the option for residents to stay in their existing homes with care provided by an external provider, which were broadly favoured by families.

“Yet the council has acknowledged that some smaller homes may not be considered financially viable by these organisations and residents may be forced to move after a change in provider.

“Consultation responses have indicated that many residents are likely to experience significant deterioration in wellbeing and behaviour as routines and staff change with a change in provider, which would be exacerbated where they are also forced to move.

“Green councillors have called on Labour to carry out an urgent review of the plans to more fully consider the likely physical, emotional and financial impact of the changes on residents.”

Councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty, the convenor of the opposition Green group on the council, said: “We are being told by families, carers and service users that people are desperately worried about the changes being proposed to these vital services.

“We are talking about some of the city’s most vulnerable residents and it is absolutely essential we get the right services in the right place.

“There is still significant uncertainty about what will happen if outsourcing is to take place and we believe the council needs to go further in establishing what future care provision will look like before taking any decision to contract out care and accommodation services.

“It is essential that the safety and wellbeing of residents, not the need for cuts, is central to this process.

“Cutting corners at this point could risk lives and damage residents’ quality of life and cost the council far more in the long run.

“We have received a very clear message throughout this consultation that forcing residents to move against their will could damage their health and wellbeing.

“We are calling on Labour to guarantee that residents will not be forced from their homes under a new care provider.

“If they cannot make this guarantee, it is essential that we maintain services in-house unless a better option can be found.”

The Health and Wellbeing Board is expected to recommend that the current in-house services are “reprovided”, with the final decision to be taken by the council’s Policy and Resources Committee on Thursday 28 April.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Anonymous says:
    10 years ago

    I bet you the council will come to the wrong decision. They always do. Especially when it comes to health or social care. My council moved ME against my will. They don’t understand what human rights are.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Dozens of vulnerable people may be forced to move, say Brighton and Hove Greens

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
April 2016
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News