• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Flagship Brighton store expected to close costing dozens of jobs

by Frank le Duc
Monday 25 Apr, 2016 at 3:02AM
A A
1
Flagship Brighton store expected to close costing dozens of jobs

Dozens of staff face losing their jobs as one of Brighton’s biggest shops, BHS in Churchill Square, is expected to close as the company goes into administration.

The collapse of BHS – founded as British Home Stores – is anticipated this week and may happen as early as this morning (Monday 25 April).

The specialist firm, Duff and Phelps, was standing by on Friday (22 April) to handle the insolvency, according to newspaper reports.

But the plans were delayed when Sports Direct opened last-minute talks to try to keep BHS trading, possibly by buying some of the department store chain’s leases.

BHS and Sir Philip Green, who was then the owner, attracted protests about tax avoidance in 2011
BHS and Sir Philip Green, who was then the owner, attracted protests about tax avoidance in 2011

Sports Direct, run by Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley, has taken a stake in BHS in the past, bought the lease of at least one store and has concessions in some branches.

Rescue talks, including those involving Sports Direct, were said to have faltered over BHS’s £1.3 billion debts including its £571 million pension deficit.

The pension black hole has already come under scrutiny from the Pension Regulator, which is based next to Brighton Station.

The demise of BHS has been described as the biggest failure on the high street since Woolworths went bust in 2008.

The billionaire retailer Sir Philip Green sold BHS for £1 last year to a group of investors led by the former racing driver Dominic Chappell. Mr Chappell has been bankrupt twice.

There are hopes that Sir Philip, who owns Topshop, Miss Selfridge and Dorothy Perkins, will use the BHS premises in Brighton for one of his other brands.

The key Churchill Square unit will become vacant as Boots looks for a new home, with John Lewis having bought its North Street premises.

British Home Stores has occupied its current site since Churchill Square opened at the end of the 1960s. It was previously on the north side of Western Road, between Crown Street and Marlborough Street. C&A took over the building in 1970 and it is now home to Primark.

The old British Home Stores shop in Western Road in Brighton - picture from the Regency Society and the James Gray Collection
The old British Home Stores shop in Western Road in Brighton – picture from the Regency Society and the James Gray Collection
Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Gerald Wiley says:
    10 years ago

    It will be a shame to see BHS go, but they had really lost their way in terms of what market they were after with the supermarkets stocking clothes and the competition from the likes of Primark.

    Although there seemed to be major investment in the Brighton store, many others seems to be stuck in the 1960s – the Worthing store was a case in point with a ‘restaurant’ looking more like a eastern European works canteen.

    Not sure what the picture of the protests about Sir Phillip Green’s tax affairs has to do with the closure – unless of course many anti-austerity activists avoided the store because of him.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Flagship Brighton store expected to close costing dozens of jobs

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
April 2016
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News