• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Rogue Brighton offy refused new 3am licence

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 28 Mar, 2018 at 2:36PM
A A
0
Elusive off licence boss set to be stripped of licence


A rogue 3am off licence which has been caught selling smuggled booze, out of date food and serving underage customers has failed in a bid to get a new licence after its last one was revoked.

International Food and Wine lost its licence late last year after breaching every licence condition with nobody willing to admit they were in charge.

An appeal has been lodged against that decision, a court date for which should be set next week – and this week, new manager Baris Yukselen’s attempt to get another 3am licence was refused.

At a hearing on Friday, the licensing panel heard that since he claimed to have taken over in December, he had been caught breaching the licence more than once – perhaps unsurprisingly as he admitted he hadn’t read the licence application made in his name or been informed of the previous licence conditions.

The panel was also informed that an off licence he ran in Coombe Terrace on Lewes Road from 2013 to 2015 had been caught selling contraband alcohol and tobacco.

And police said they believed this new application was an attempt to get around the rules – with trading standards adding that they believed any improvements at the store were simply a temporary measure to get it approved.

In its ruling, the panel said: “The panel is concerned that notwithstanding his previous experience, Mr Yukselen admitted that he had had no awareness of the council’s licensing policy, had not been aware of the conditions imposed on the old premises licence when he took over, and had not seen the new application before it was submitted.

“Since Mr Yukselen became the DPS for the premises, there have been breaches of the licence conditions …. Taking into account the breaches of the licensing conditions referred to above, Mr Yukselen’s ignorance of/disregard for the licensing conditions attached to the premises licence and his lack of understanding of the licensing regime, the panel has no confidence in the applicant company’s ability to promote the licensing objectives. It shares the concerns of the Police, Licensing Authority and Trading Standards.

“The application is therefore refused.”

The first breach happened just a week after he took over, when police discovered the CCTV was not working. Then on 3 January, he told a council officer that staff weren’t properly trained and asked why children weren’t allowed in the shop by themselves after 7pm. He also admitted that a condition to have at least two members of staff on duty in the evenings was not adhered to.

At the hearing, the panel asked Mr Yukselen if he would be happy to be granted a licence which ended much earlier, but he made it clear that it was 3am or nothing.

Inspector Di Lewis wrote to the panel: “Sussex Police Licensing have visited after this … to conduct checks and have found the licence is still being breached. On 21 December, it was found that the CCTV was not operational and the shop plans did not reflect the layout of the store.

“Sussex Police believes this is an attempt to circumvent the appeal decision and licensing process and therefore invites the Licensing Authority to seriously consider refusing this application in its entirety.”

Trading Standards Manager Jo Player wrote: “It is the view of Trading Standards that controls and improvements there are only temporary due to the outstanding appeal of the panel’s decision of 1 December 2017.”

Mr Yukselen submitted his application on the same day previous premises licence holder Heydar Pashazade, who had claimed to have left messages on non-existent voicemails and passed on letters he said he hadn’t received, lodged an appeal at Brighton Magistrates Court.

At the hearing last year, the store’s legal representative said that Mr Pashazade had left the country for his wedding a week before he became the PLH, and blamed the bad management on his predecessor, Mustapha Donmez. The panel said it was clear he had been put on the licence as a convenient name.

A request to make Mustapha’s younger bother Muslum PLH was rejected because the panel heard he had given trading standards a false name under pressure from his brother, and they were not satisfied that the older brother could be excluded from the premises.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Rogue Brighton offy refused new 3am licence

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
March 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News