• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Former Brighton and Hove journalist to sue Met in phone hacking case

by Frank le Duc
Monday 23 May, 2011 at 5:53PM
A A
0

A journalist who lived in Hove and worked in Brighton has won the latest round in his battle with police over the News of the World phone hacking scandal.

Brendan Montague, 36, a freelance who used to work for The Argus, is one of four claimants who were given permission to take the Metropolitan Police to judicial review.

The other three were former Deputy Prime Minister Lord Prescott, the Labour MP Chris Bryant and the former Met police commander Brian Paddick.

The four claim that the police deliberately misled them over evidence that their mobile phones had been hacked.

A High Court judge, Mr Justice Foskett, believes that they have enough of a case to bring a judicial review of the way that the Met handled their cases.

The judge said that although he was “not truly persuaded” that Mr Montague had an “arguable claim”, he would allow his application to proceed for “pragmatic reasons”. Scotland Yard is still assessing the evidence that it holds.

At an earlier hearing the court was that the Met told John Prescott repeatedly that he was not a victim of phone hacking.

But his voicemail had been intercepted 45 times by the private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, who was jailed for his role in the scandal.

Public interest

Mr Montague’s case follows an incident when he tried to sell a story to the News of the World in his capacity as a freelance journalist. He believes that someone working for the newspaper hacked into his mobile phone to obtain information illicitly and costing him up to £30,000.

Mr Montague has written about his case previously for The Guardian. He wrote: “Blagging your way into someone’s phone records would be morally defendable if there was a genuine and compelling public interest.”

His case appears to have owed more to journalistic and commercial rivalry.

Mr Montague, who worked for the Hollingbury-based Argus in 2003 and 2004, added: “This is an abuse of power by newspapers owned by one of the most powerful media tycoons in the world, Rupert Murdoch.”

Mr Justice Foskett said that he was reversing an earlier refusal to allow the claimants to pursue a judicial review.

He said that the change of heart had come about because the fresh police investigation into the scandal had produced significant new evidence supporting their claims.

And he said that he now expected full disclosure from the police in the judicial review, warning them to be aware of their “duty of candour”.

The four men are claiming that their human rights were breached and Mr Justice Foskett ruled that their cases could be heard in a High Court judicial review. No date has been set for the hearing.

Steve Coogan, the actor and comedian who lives in Hove, is suing the publisher of the News of the World in a separate case for hacking his phone.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

School building to become temporary charity hub

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Former Brighton and Hove journalist to sue Met in phone hacking case

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Drinks licence granted for site just south of St Peter’s Church

Council tax expected to go up 4.99 per cent again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
May 2011
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News