• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton charity's new kitchen offers recipe for helping the homeless find work

by Frank le Duc
Sunday 10 Jul, 2011 at 11:02PM
A A
0

A day centre for homeless and vulnerable people in Brighton has been reopened after a 12-month refurbishment.

First Base, in St Stephen’s Hall in Montpelier Place, now includes a kitchen where training is being offered to give people the skills to find work in the catering trade.

Dozens of supporters gathered for the formal reopening on Thursday (7 July) including several members of Brighton and Hove City Council.

They included council leader Bill Randall, who opened the council’s own housing centre for tenants on Tuesday (5 July). The Green councillor is a journalist specialising in housing issues.

His immediate predecessor, Conservative councillor Mary Mears, was also present on Thursday and praised BHT in a generous speech. She too has long had an interest in housing.

They met some of those who have been helped at First Base, which is run by Brighton Housing Trust (BHT).

And they learnt about the project which was funded with help from the Department for Communities and Local Government and a £320,000 grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

The work, refitting the grade II* listed former church, was carried out in partnership with the council.

Thrilled

Nikki Homewood, BHT’s director of homelessness services, said: “We’re thrilled with the new building.”

Ms Homewood, who used to run First Base, added: “The restoration work is beautiful and sympathetic to the history of the building while the new facilities for clients provide a modern fit-for-purpose service.”

Andy Winter, BHT’s chief executive, said: “The refurbishment and reopening of First Base is a major milestone in BHT’s journey.

“The facilities that we can offer clients will compare favourably with the best in the country.

“There will be a renewed focus on bringing about change for clients and the work, training and education facilities are of the highest order.

“The remodelling of the centre has been guided by those who use its facilities, and they will have a greater role in running the service in the future.

“We are extremely grateful to all those who have made this possible, from our funders, many hundreds of individual supporters and the clients who have guided the refurbishment.

Amazing

“Last, but by no means least, the amazing staff team at First Base who have carried on providing a great service over the last year while the works have been carried out.”

As well as the catering training project at First Base, the kitchen will be used by Dine!, the social enterprise run by former clients.

Dine! provides external catering for businesses in Brighton and Hove and prepared the food and drink for the reopening.

St Stephen’s Hall became the First Base Day Centre for homeless and vulnerable men and women in 1984.

The building dates from 1766 and originally stood in Castle Square, between the bottom of North Street and the Old Steine, Brighton.

The building became St Stephen’s Chapel of the Royal Pavilion in 1821.

King George IV and William IV and Queen Victoria all worshipped there before the building was moved brick by brick in 1852 to its present site in Montpelier Place.

Brighton Housing Trust, which runs First Base, is a registered charity and housing association, carrying out most of its work in Brighton and Hove.

BHT provides a range of services to homeless and vulnerable men and women including specialist supported housing, legal and advice services, day support and education and training services.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton charity's new kitchen offers recipe for helping the homeless find work

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
July 2011
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News