• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Arts and Culture

Second Hove Plinth sculpture announced

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 3 Apr, 2019 at 1:11PM
A A
0
Second Hove Plinth sculpture announced

Flight of the Langoustine by Pierre Diamantopoulo, virtual illustration

Flight of the Langoustine by Pierre Diamantopoulo, virtual illustration

A second sculpture for the new Hove Plinth, inspired my a mangled lobster pot, could be in place next year if enough money is raised.

Brighton sculptor Pierre Diamantopoulo’s Flight of the Langoustine will cost an estimated £135,000 and fundraising is now underway.

A design for the sculpture was a favourite in the public vote for sculpture proposals held in 2015.

Jonathan Wright’s sculpture Constellation was the first artwork chosen, and was officially unveiled in April last year.

Jonathan Wright’s Constellation
Diamantopoulo is a sculptor of national and international reputation and this will be his first sculpture to be exhibited in his home city.

Inspired by a discarded and mangled lobster pot found while beachcombing, Diamantopoulo first created a model of this sculpture in a studio under the King’s Road arches.

In his imagination the washed-up object that seemingly helped lobsters escape became a human story of exodus and release – a dash for freedom.
The sculpture is made up of four life-size bronze figures flying through a broken steel grid.

The sculpture is 384cm high, 300cm wide and 289cm deep and is sure to make an unforgettable impression on visitors to the seafront.

Pierre Diamantopoulo says of his work: “In Flight of the Langoustine as in much of my work, a liberating energy is combined with a profound sense of unrest.

“These androgynous and anonymous figures are often seen flying in defiance or fleeing, challenged by their environment – a metaphor for a precarious state of living or existence.

“Truly transcending the confines of the ground, the figures are at once profound, frivolous and boisterous, occupying the air like a flock of birds and inspired by modern dance choreography.”

Each of the bronze figures will cost £30,000 to produce and the overall final cost of the sculpture is £135,000. Fundraising is now starting in earnest following initial contributions from The Headley Trust, Hove Business Association, Collectors Selection Open House and The Arts Society East Sussex.

The plan is for the sculpture to be installed in 2020 but final date will depend on how soon funds can be raised.The sculpture cannot be fully commissioned until all the funding is secured.

Pierre Diamantopoulo uses traditional processes and techniques to create his sculpture. At a lecture in Hove last week he gave an insight into the complex process of producing a bronze sculpture on this scale.

Karin Janzon, Project Director, Hove Civic Society says: “We are very excited at the prospect of seeing this sculpture mounted on Hove Plinth in the future.

“We are inviting everyone to contribute to this amazing addition to the seafront and will shortly have an online donation platform ready. We also have a sponsor pack for major donors which highlights the benefits major donors can expect depending on level of support and interest.

“We would be delighted to meet and discuss the project with potential supporters.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Second Hove Plinth sculpture announced

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Missing boy found safe

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh charms the Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

by Ed Elliot - PA
24 May 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Manchester United 3 The Seagulls have qualified for European football for only the second time...

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

by Frank le Duc
24 May 2026
0

Fabian Hürzeler has made three changes from last week as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United in the final...

Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Load More
April 2019
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News