• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Hove care home operator goes bust

by Frank le Duc
Monday 11 Jul, 2011 at 11:59PM
A A
0

The company that runs two care homes in Brighton and Hove effectively declared itself bust today (Monday 11 July).

Southern Cross made the announcement to the London Stock Exchange this morning and said that the landlords of its 752 homes would take over running them.

The company operates Bon Accord in New Church Road, Hove, and The Downs in Laburnum Avenue, Hangleton.

The landlord of Bon Accord is Gama Tzedaka Ltd, of Hendon, and Yew Tree Properties Ltd, of Golders Green in London, according to the GMB union, which represents several Southern Cross staff.

It said that the directors of Gama Tzedaka were David Jay, Irvine Sidney Jay and Philip Jay.

Neither Southern Cross nor the GMB identified the landlord of The Downs.

Reassurance

While some Southern Cross homes are to close, Brighton and Hove City Council sought to offer reassurance about the two homes in Hove.

The council has asked the managers to put the minds of their staff at rest – and those of residents and their families, carers and friends.

Councillor Rob Jarrett, chairman of the Joint Commissioning Board, which brings the council and health chiefs together, gave members an update at a meeting at Hove Town Hall late this afternoon.

He said that Southern Cross was shutting down its operations and transferring responsibility for its home to the company’s landlords.

He said that this did not mean that homes would necessarily close and added that some of those landlords owned and ran other care homes.

Denise D’Souza, the council’s director of adult social services, told members of the Joint Commissioning Board that the two Hove homes appeared to be financially viable.

She said that the council would work with the landlords or the administrators appointed to run Southern Cross until it was wound up.

She added: “We have reassured the residents. They have been reassured by the staff in those homes.

“We’re in a much safer position than some other local authorities.”

Local difficulties

A month ago the council was funding 27 residents at Bon Accord, 18 at The Downs and seven places at Southern Cross homes outside Brighton and Hove.

Apart from the financial troubles at Southern Cross, Bon Accord has had its own local difficulties too.

At its last inspection – in May last year – it was given a one-star adequate rating under the old star-rating system.

The best homes were awarded a three-star excellent rating or a two-star good rating. The worst were given a poor rating and no stars.

Bon Accord has 54 staff and caters for up to 41 people with dementia and other mental disorders with fees last year ranging from £624 to £850 a week

It was given a zero-star poor rating in 2009 although the report in May last year noted sustained improvements and signs of investment in the care home.

Residents said that the staff were “caring and supportive” and that “the home is usually clean and the food is good”.

It has a small number of vacancies – believed to be about seven – and if its performance improves and the landlords are co-operative, some believe that the council will take the places.

The Downs has 25 beds and, in 2009 when it was last inspected, it was awarded a two-star good rating under the Care Quality Commission’s old star-rating system.

Fees at the 12-year-old purpose-built home ranged from £430 to £842 a week.

Committed

After Southern Cross shares ceased trading on the Stock Exchange this morning, one of the country’s most senior social work chiefs issued a statement.

Peter Hay, president of the Association of Directors of Social Services (ADASS), said: “The assurances needed from landlords are vitally important to reassure all those people who live at Southern Cross homes, or who have loved ones and friends living there.

“We take the commitment as binding.

“We welcome the news from the landlords committee that all of Southern Cross’s landlords are wedded to working alongside ADASS members.

“Councils are fully committed to providing their help and expertise wherever it is required during the coming months.

“With local authorities, ADASS members will have prepared a range of regional contingency plans to provide help to landlords where necessary.

Robust

“We, alongside other colleagues, will be determined to establish that the new emerging organisations preparing to care for older people in their localities have robust business plans showing they can cope with the current public sector spending environment.

“We continue to believe that this is possible, as shown by others in the care home market, and will support landlords accordingly.”

The public sector spending environment – the pressure to keep the fees paid by councils as low as possible – was one of the factors blamed by Southern Cross for its financial problems. It also blamed rent levels.

The cost of caring for the elderly has long been contentious, not least because of the ageing population.

The economist Andrew Dilnot presented a report on the subject to the government just last week.

He proposed capping care costs at £35,000, with pensioners being taxed to help fund the extra £2 billion that the state would have to find.

His proposals are unlikely to become policy any time soon.

So anyone with savings and property worth more than £23,250 will continue to be liable for their care costs in full.

• A Hove firm of solicitors is listed by the GMB union as the landlord of a Southern Cross care home in Birmingham.

The union said that Sandstone Holdings Limited, a company incorporated in Jersey in 1993, is represented by S M Reed and Co, of The Drive, Hove.

Stephen and Susan Reed are listed by the Good Lawyer Guide as partners in the practice.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

School building to become temporary charity hub

Hove care home operator goes bust

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
July 2011
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News