• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Councillors to debate academy ruling after Brighton school’s poor official report

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 11 Jun, 2019 at 5:26PM
A A
0
Downsizing Brighton school could sack up to 11 support staff

Moulsecoomb Primary School

The poor Ofsted report received by Moulsecoomb Primary School is expected to lead to heated discussions at a meeting next week.

Campaigners have already started to fight an “academy order” isued by the Department for Education’s regional schools commissioner, requiring the school to become an “academy school”.

The order was issued after the school was rated “inadequate” by official inspectors.

On Monday (17 June) members of Brighton and Hove City Council are expected to discuss the school’s Ofsted report and the academy order.

The council’s Children, Young People and Skills Committee is due to hold its first meeting since the local elections when a number of recent Ofsted reports are on the agenda.

Labour councillor Nick Childs, the new chair of the committee, has already announced plans to ballot parents and staff.

He said that the council wanted to keep the school, in The Highway, in the family of local authority maintained schools.

Councillor Elaine Hills, who speaks for the opposition Greens on the committee, said that Ofsted ratings did not take into account how well schools cared for children.

She said that the school was known for its care, guidance and mental health support in an area which is one of the 20 per cent most deprived areas in England.

Councillor Hills said that the report showed that the school was helping its disadvantaged children achieve in line with other pupils.

She said that she was concerned that “academy status” would not help the school or its children as the Institute of Education had said that two thirds of academy chains performed below average for disadvantaged pupils.

And recent studies suggested that schools with lower Ofsted ratings were much more likely to improve under local authority control.

Councillor Hills said: “Our city’s schools have been starved of the funding they need by the Conservative government. Many are losing the specialist staff, resources and support they need to succeed.

“In this context, it is even more vital that our city’s schools have access to the training, best practice and support offered by the local authority.

“Greens have always opposed academies – and will continue to insist that Moulsecoomb Primary remains part of our family of schools and is given the time and support it needs to improve.”

Another Ofsted report on the agenda next Monday is for St Mark’s Church of England Primary School, in Manor Road, Brighton.

The school was rated as “requires improvement” by Ofsted, having previously been rated “good”.

The committee papers said that three other schools had all maintained their good rating.

They were St Andrew’s Church of England Primary School, in Belfast Street, Hove, St John the Baptist Roman Catholic Primary School, in Whitehawk Hill Road, Brighton, and Patcham Junior School, in Ladies Mile Road, Brighton.

Across Brighton and Hove 90.4 per cent of primary schools were either good or outstanding, compared with 86.7 per cent nationally.

All Brighton and Hove’s secondary schools were rated good.

The council’s Children, Young People and Skills Committee is due to meet at Hove Town Hall next Monday (17 June). The meeting is scheduled to start at 4pm and should be open to the public.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

New bus route to start next month

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Councillors to debate academy ruling after Brighton school’s poor official report

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Restaurant could lose licence in row over noisy fan

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Emma Rice brings Malory Towers to Brighton Festival with music, mischief and midnight feasts

Midnight feasts, mischief and mayhem: Emma Rice’s Malory Towers delights at Brighton Festival

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
June 2019
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News