• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Councillors to debate academy ruling after Brighton school’s poor official report

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 11 Jun, 2019 at 5:26PM
A A
0
Downsizing Brighton school could sack up to 11 support staff

Moulsecoomb Primary School

The poor Ofsted report received by Moulsecoomb Primary School is expected to lead to heated discussions at a meeting next week.

Campaigners have already started to fight an “academy order” isued by the Department for Education’s regional schools commissioner, requiring the school to become an “academy school”.

The order was issued after the school was rated “inadequate” by official inspectors.

On Monday (17 June) members of Brighton and Hove City Council are expected to discuss the school’s Ofsted report and the academy order.

The council’s Children, Young People and Skills Committee is due to hold its first meeting since the local elections when a number of recent Ofsted reports are on the agenda.

Labour councillor Nick Childs, the new chair of the committee, has already announced plans to ballot parents and staff.

He said that the council wanted to keep the school, in The Highway, in the family of local authority maintained schools.

Councillor Elaine Hills, who speaks for the opposition Greens on the committee, said that Ofsted ratings did not take into account how well schools cared for children.

She said that the school was known for its care, guidance and mental health support in an area which is one of the 20 per cent most deprived areas in England.

Councillor Hills said that the report showed that the school was helping its disadvantaged children achieve in line with other pupils.

She said that she was concerned that “academy status” would not help the school or its children as the Institute of Education had said that two thirds of academy chains performed below average for disadvantaged pupils.

And recent studies suggested that schools with lower Ofsted ratings were much more likely to improve under local authority control.

Councillor Hills said: “Our city’s schools have been starved of the funding they need by the Conservative government. Many are losing the specialist staff, resources and support they need to succeed.

“In this context, it is even more vital that our city’s schools have access to the training, best practice and support offered by the local authority.

“Greens have always opposed academies – and will continue to insist that Moulsecoomb Primary remains part of our family of schools and is given the time and support it needs to improve.”

Another Ofsted report on the agenda next Monday is for St Mark’s Church of England Primary School, in Manor Road, Brighton.

The school was rated as “requires improvement” by Ofsted, having previously been rated “good”.

The committee papers said that three other schools had all maintained their good rating.

They were St Andrew’s Church of England Primary School, in Belfast Street, Hove, St John the Baptist Roman Catholic Primary School, in Whitehawk Hill Road, Brighton, and Patcham Junior School, in Ladies Mile Road, Brighton.

Across Brighton and Hove 90.4 per cent of primary schools were either good or outstanding, compared with 86.7 per cent nationally.

All Brighton and Hove’s secondary schools were rated good.

The council’s Children, Young People and Skills Committee is due to meet at Hove Town Hall next Monday (17 June). The meeting is scheduled to start at 4pm and should be open to the public.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Councillors to debate academy ruling after Brighton school’s poor official report

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
June 2019
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News