• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Moulsecoomb Primary’s would-be sponsor gave up previous school after disastrous takeover

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 23 Oct, 2019 at 12:39PM
A A
1
Moulsecoomb Primary staff to be balloted for strike action


The sponsor chosen by the government to turn Moulsecoomb Primary into an academy had to give up a previous school after more than half the teaching staff quit within a year of it taking charge.

New Horizons Academy Trust currently runs one school – Seaside Primary in Lancing – and plans to open a second, Bluebell Primary in West Durrington.

It previously took over Laurels Primary School in Worthing in September 2016 – but within months another academy trust had to step in to help and eventually took it over.

All three unions representing staff at the Moulsecoomb School started to ballot for strike action earlier this month, with the results expected to be announced in the next week or two.

Parent campaigner, Ulrike Hofmann, said: “We are shocked to find out that the academy trust that has been chosen to take over our school has a track record like this and will be given the responsibility of looking after our children’s education.

“Parents are extremely concerned and worried about decisions that are being made behind the scenes without any consultation of the community. I know several parents that have already stated they will take their children out of the school if this goes ahead.

“Our campaign group will be asking the trustees and members of NHAT to meet us urgently to discuss our concerns. More than ever we are determined to stop the privatisation of our community school.”

According to a trustees report included in DMAT’s most recently published annual accounts, four out of the seven class teachers plus the head quit the year after New Horizons took over in 2016.

The report said: “In June 2017, DMAT were contacted by the Regional Schools Commissioner to support the Laurels. The headteacher was leaving, as were four out of seven class teachers required for September, with no replacements as yet.

“No financial information was seen by the governing body from February 2017 until DMAT was able to share financial information in January 2018.

It was clear to DMAT that standards were poor, site security had been overlooked by the local authority, previous Head and New Horizons, and that the budget was out of control . . . Key Stage 2 had been greatly overlooked, and basic systems were not in place.”

The report said that New Horizons and DMAT worked together with [government] support through the autumn term in 2017, transferred to DMAT from January to August 2018.

A new head was appointed in January 2018 and, the report said, the school is making rapid progress.

Its latest Ofsted report, from February this year, said it requires improvement. The last report from the LEA-controlled school in 2014 rated it as good.

New Horizon Trust’s own accounts for the same period state: “The biggest significant risk for the trust moving forward is growth to enable effective economies of scale.

“With New horizons Laurels Primary having been re-brokered to another trust, this has a clear impact on the centrally provided trust services cost to the remaining school.

“New Horizons is working closely with the [government] to ensure that another school is identified for it to sponsor in the future.”

Craig Arden, National Education Union Regional Officer said: “It is a scandal that an academy trust with a track record of leaving a school in a financial mess, with staff leaving in droves and standards slipping, has been chosen to be the sponsor for Moulsecoomb Primary School.

“It appears that the main priority for the Regional Schools Commissioner in selecting NHAT to take over Moulsecoomb Primary is to prop up an unsustainable academy model and secure the trust’s financial viability.

“This is completely wrong and any decision that is made should be purely on the basis that it is in the best interests of Moulsecoomb Primary School and nothing else.

“There is absolutely no way that a trust with one school can provide better support than Brighton and Hove City Council which has 57.”

Paul Shellard, NEU Brighton and Hove Secretary said: “Everyone connected to Moulsecoomb Primary School is united in supporting the school as it continues on its journey of school improvement within the local authority. Parents, staff and the council do not want an academy trust with no connection to Brighton & Hove or Moulsecoomb, and little experience of running schools, to disrupt this progress.

“No amount of sweet talking by NHAT can conceal the fact that the academy model is flawed and unstainable. If Moulsecoomb Primary joins their trust, less money will be spent on children’s education and more will be spent on CEO wages and administration.

“Our members fear this will mean cuts to staff and rising class sizes and are prepared to use strike action to fight against this. We call on the sponsor to listen to the community and withdraw, and the Secretary of State to revoke the academy order.”

New Horizons has been approached for comment.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Jane says:
    6 years ago

    I don’t know if it is relevant that the accounts for the trust show that the auditor resigned, plus quite a few others.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Moulsecoomb Primary’s would-be sponsor gave up previous school after disastrous takeover

Brutal rapist targeted woman he met on night out in Brighton

Met Office warns of torrential rain tomorrow

Man jailed over Hove cannabis farm

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Car showroom to become supermarket

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

18 February 2026
Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

18 February 2026
Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

17 February 2026
The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

17 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
4

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
October 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News