• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Cable thieves bring misery for Brighton and Hove commuters

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 6 Sep, 2011 at 6:15PM
A A
0

Thousands of commuters from Brighton, Hove and Portslade were dealt a double blow by thieves this morning (Tuesday 6 September).

Cable thefts near Littlehampton and London Bridge stations added cancellations, diversions and delays to their journey to work.

And the disruption has continued into the evening rush hour with London Bridge still affected by the problem on an unpleasantly wet and windy day.

The independent charity Crimestoppers has offered a £1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the thieves.

Train operator Southern said that the cable theft in London had been causing delays of up to 75 minutes this morning and was still causing delays of up to 45 minutes.

A spokesman said: “This continues to cause problems for passengers who live on the south coast but work in London.

“We don’t have a time for the return to normal running.”

A British Transport Police (BTP) spokesman said that about 30ft of cable was stolen from the Bermondsey area, on the approach to London Bridge.

Dangerous

The spokesman said: “The act of stealing, or attempting to steal, cable is extremely dangerous.

“Anyone who has any information about the incident or who saw any suspicious activity in the area is asked to come forward.

“What thieves don’t realise is that they are working on live cable, carrying up to 25,000 volts, which can cause extensive burns.

“By attempting to steal it they are seriously putting their lives at risk.

“BTP have a dedicated team of officers who work proactively with Network Rail and train operating companies to counteract the delays and discomfort passengers suffer when thieves target the essential resources that keep the trains running.

“Metal theft causes significant disruption to rail services and that means real consequences for real people – missed business meetings, family celebrations and important appointments for instance.

“And that’s not to mention the huge financial costs to the rail industry and the dangers to the thieves themselves.”

Separately thieves stole more than 160ft of cable from between Littlehampton and Ford, close to the A259 bridge.

Ransacked

Southern said: “Just after midnight signalling problems became apparent at Littlehampton.

“After investigation it became clear that signalling cable had been stolen.

“As a result Southern services were diverted to run via Barnham and Bognor Regis, causing delays of 25 minutes or so for most of the morning peak.

“The repair was made at approximately 9am and services are now running normally.”

The BTP spokesman added: “In July two brothers, Jason and John Tusting, were imprisoned for over eight years for cable theft-related offences on the rail network.

“A man they were with died while they ransacked a railway substation in Bromley.”

Robin Gisby, managing director of network operations for Network Rail, said: “Yet again, mindless thieves have caused delays and disruption for thousands of commuters across the south east.

“The costs incurred as a result of this crime are likely to run into the hundreds of thousands of pounds, which is money we would otherwise spend on improving and maintaining our rail network.

“Cable theft is a huge issue and one which the rail industry is committed to tackling– but we can’t do it alone.

“We need to see tougher sentences for cable thieves in the courts and the police must be given the powers they need to shut down the scrap dealers who are profiting from the travelling public’s misery.”

Anyone with information can call the BTP on 0800 405040 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Cable thieves bring misery for Brighton and Hove commuters

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
September 2011
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News