• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Schools cuts campaigners call on heads to defy election banner order

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 13 Nov, 2019 at 1:50PM
A A
6
Schools cuts campaigners call on heads to defy election banner order


Schools cuts campaigners are asking headteachers to defy a request to comply with council election rules and take down banners from outside schools.

The Save Our Schools campaign gave banners detailing how much money schools have lost since 2015, based on figures compiled by education unions, many of which were unfurled outside Brighton and Hove schools last month.

Now, the council has asked schools to remove them because of rules governing what local authorities and schools can say in the run-up to an election, commonly known as going into purdah.

A similar request was made ahead of the June 2017 snap election, but Save Our Schools says it was largely ignored by headteachers with no repercussions.

Campaigner Catherine Fisher said: “The request to take banners down is an attempt to shut down debate about the ongoing crisis in school funding when it should be high on the agenda for all political parties.

“This issue has not gone away, in fact for many schools the cuts are set to deepen next year. The figures on our banners are a statement of fact; these disturbing facts should not be hidden just because there is an election underway. We urge all head teachers to stand firm and keep banners up.”

Fellow campaigner Gemma Haley said:”We are not experts on purdah but the guidance we have seen says suggests that ‘The misuse and extension of the term purdah should not be used to curb free speech or stifle public debate’.

“We think the request to take down our banners does exactly that.”

A council spokesperson said: “National legal guidance says that in the pre-election period councils and schools should not publish or display any material containing views on any controversial issue which could be construed as supporting one political party or candidate over another.

“With this in mind we have advised our schools to remove publicity that may come under this description, including the SOS banners.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. David says:
    7 years ago

    Heads would do well to consider that not all parents share their political views and that heads who peddle a party line do a disservice to their privileged position. If heads are party placemen and women, why should they not face being removed if their political opponents win office?

    Reply
  2. Poor Richard says:
    7 years ago

    David would do well to consider that not everyone shares his delusional fantasy that headteachers are placed in post by the Communists. He should also consider that going on about it while his grandkids see their school skimp on vital resources then face closure, when the remedy of full funding was laid out clearly before him, is going to lead to a lonelier old age. He might also consider that – far from being some profound statement of principle – his ‘political beliefs’ amount to little more than wanting to spend his money on more fags and beer rather than paying the heating bill and roof repairs for his kid’s school. It’s not deep; it’s just the petty and selfish rant of a small man.

    Reply
    • Rob says:
      7 years ago

      Then maybe we should put up banners letting parents know how the lax Labour approach to the public finances and our bankers (supported by most Tories) made the financial crash in 2008 worse here than in some countries (although better than in others) and how that still affects our public spending capacity (along with the EU rules put in place to keep the euro stable).
      It was the Labour chief secretary who left a note for his Tory successor saying sorry all the money’s gone. And it fell to the Tories to try to put the public finances on a better footing, with the same policies as Labour advocated, albeit to a slightly less stringent degree.

      Reply
      • Poor Richard says:
        7 years ago

        Rob would do well to consider that I don’t give a brass monkey who isn’t giving my school enough money to fund the budget needs and stay solvent. I just want the money. If you don’t provide it, the school runs a negative budget and can be summarily closed and given to an academy chain. It’s all very well moaning about this or that politician. I blame them all. But I especially blame people like you, who use them as an excuse to do sweet fa about a situation staring you right in the face.

        Reply
  3. Pat says:
    7 years ago

    Poor Richard makes a lot of assumptions in the ‘petty and selfish rant of a small man’ which he posted here. Poor fellow ought to have a lie down!

    Reply
    • Poor Richard says:
      7 years ago

      Pat makes a lot of assumptions about me while patting themselves on the back about the assumption I made about Dave. I’ll simplify my point: Dave is either ill informed, deliberately ignoring the bleeding obvious, thick as a brick or a total c***who doesn’t give a damn. I don’t care which.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Schools cuts campaigners call on heads to defy election banner order

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
November 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News