• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Neighbours oppose plans to turn Brighton house into flats

by Frank le Duc
Friday 3 Jan, 2020 at 10:27AM
A A
1
Neighbours oppose plans to turn Brighton house into flats

A planning application to convert a detached house into flats has been resubmitted and has won the approval of officials.

But the scheme to turn Glenside, in Wincombe Road, just off Dyke Road, Brighton, into four flats will be go before councillors for a decision.

A previous application to convert the house into five flats was turned down by the council in April last year.

The owner appealed to the independent Planning Inspectorate but the appeal was rejected.

This followed a previous application in 2017 for five flats.

Planning consultant Jon Turner, writing on behalf of the owner Colin Blower and his wife, said that the new design removed areas of concern raised when the appeal was rejected.

And, he said, the new application no longer included a dormer window and fifth flat in the roof space.

It is for two one-bedroom flats, a two-bedroom flat and a three-bedroom flat, with a balcony on the first floor.

Neighbours have sent 16 objections to the plans, raising concerns about parking, over-development and the change being out of character with the area.

One objection, with details redacted on Brighton and Hove City Council’s website, said: “This  building is on the site of what was the garden of 236 Dyke Road and as it stands was a massive over-development of the site.

“Any further over-development of the site would be detrimental to the neighbourhood.

“We are very concerned about overlooking of neighbours from the first-floor flats.

“There is a genuine shortage of parking in the neighbourhood and the proposal to reduce from four off-street parking spaces for one household to one off-street parking space for four households will exacerbate the current problems with parking.”

Another neighbour wrote: “This proposal if agreed will cause great harm to immediate neighbours in terms of privacy, noise, overlook, etc.

“It will look out of character. It will cause material harm to the people living next door.

“It will set a precedent for all large houses in this area to make a private profit by turning their dwelling into flats.

“Once this precedent is set the family neighbourhood we value will be lost for ever.

“The traffic and parking which is overloaded down Reigate Road and Wincombe Road will be increased.”

The council’s Planning Committee is due to decide the application at Hove Town Hall next Wednesday (8 January).

The meeting is scheduled to start at 2pm and should be open to the public.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. james g says:
    7 years ago

    Excellent idea. Save the greenbelt and build more flats.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Neighbours oppose plans to turn Brighton house into flats

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
January 2020
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News