• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Kitcat cleared of breaking council rules

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 3 Nov, 2010 at 9:02PM
A A
0

A Green councillor has been cleared of all the complaints made against him by his Conservative opponents on Brighton and Hove City Council.

Councillor Jason Kitcat was working under the threat of a six-month suspension if he continued to refuse to apologise for posting video clips of a council meeting on YouTube. He had also been told to submit for retraining.

Today his case was heard by Standards for England – formerly the Standards Board for England – at the Hilton Brighton Metropole in King’s Road, Brighton.

Councillor Kitcat said on his Twitter account: “I won on all counts. All sanctions against me dismissed.

“Thank you for all the support and congratulations.”

The council said that Councillor Kitcat had improperly used a council resource – the copyright of the video clips – for political purposes when he uploaded the clips on YouTube. To see his YouTube channel click here.

This video of Councillor Geoffrey Theobald prompted a complaint against Councillor Jason Kitcat

Councillor Kitcat said that the council had webcast the meeting and that he was sharing more widely a video that the council wanted the public to see.

After the Standards for England tribunal overturned his suspension today Councillor Kitcat said that the result was “a victory for openness and democracy for voters and councillors not just in this city but across the country”.

He said: “Councillors should be held to account by the ballot box, not a set of regulations which are so open to abuse for wasteful political point scoring.

“I continue to believe that it was in the best interests of my constituents that I made the proceedings of public council meetings more open and accessible to all.

“I did this at no cost to the council, using my own computer.

“This complaint against me has been a massive waste of council resources and officer time.

“But I am thankful that the tribunal panel’s findings have supported the important principle of free political speech having priority over copyright law and the councillor code of conduct.”

Councillor Kitcat is now free to continue representing the voters of Regency ward.

In the run-up to the hearing he won support from an unlikely quarter, the Conservative cabinet minister Eric Pickles.

The Communities and Local Government Secretary announced that he was abolishing Standards for England.

Mr Pickles cited Councillor Kitcat’s case as an example of the “petty allegations, often a storm in a teacup, (which) damaged the reputation and standing of local government as well as wasting taxpayers’ money”.

Last week in the House of Commons Mr Pickles offered his support by echoing former Tory Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher’s famous phrase: “U turn if you want to, the lady’s not for turning.”

He urged Councillor Kitcat: “YouTube if you want to!”

And now he can.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Kitcat cleared of breaking council rules

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Car showroom to become supermarket

Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn

Moped rider held on suspicion of drug dealing

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Woman guilty of stealing hostage memorial

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

17 February 2026
The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

17 February 2026
Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

17 February 2026
Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

17 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
4

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
November 2010
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News