• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Kitcat cleared of breaking council rules

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 3 Nov, 2010 at 9:02PM
A A
0

A Green councillor has been cleared of all the complaints made against him by his Conservative opponents on Brighton and Hove City Council.

Councillor Jason Kitcat was working under the threat of a six-month suspension if he continued to refuse to apologise for posting video clips of a council meeting on YouTube. He had also been told to submit for retraining.

Today his case was heard by Standards for England – formerly the Standards Board for England – at the Hilton Brighton Metropole in King’s Road, Brighton.

Councillor Kitcat said on his Twitter account: “I won on all counts. All sanctions against me dismissed.

“Thank you for all the support and congratulations.”

The council said that Councillor Kitcat had improperly used a council resource – the copyright of the video clips – for political purposes when he uploaded the clips on YouTube. To see his YouTube channel click here.

This video of Councillor Geoffrey Theobald prompted a complaint against Councillor Jason Kitcat

Councillor Kitcat said that the council had webcast the meeting and that he was sharing more widely a video that the council wanted the public to see.

After the Standards for England tribunal overturned his suspension today Councillor Kitcat said that the result was “a victory for openness and democracy for voters and councillors not just in this city but across the country”.

He said: “Councillors should be held to account by the ballot box, not a set of regulations which are so open to abuse for wasteful political point scoring.

“I continue to believe that it was in the best interests of my constituents that I made the proceedings of public council meetings more open and accessible to all.

“I did this at no cost to the council, using my own computer.

“This complaint against me has been a massive waste of council resources and officer time.

“But I am thankful that the tribunal panel’s findings have supported the important principle of free political speech having priority over copyright law and the councillor code of conduct.”

Councillor Kitcat is now free to continue representing the voters of Regency ward.

In the run-up to the hearing he won support from an unlikely quarter, the Conservative cabinet minister Eric Pickles.

The Communities and Local Government Secretary announced that he was abolishing Standards for England.

Mr Pickles cited Councillor Kitcat’s case as an example of the “petty allegations, often a storm in a teacup, (which) damaged the reputation and standing of local government as well as wasting taxpayers’ money”.

Last week in the House of Commons Mr Pickles offered his support by echoing former Tory Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher’s famous phrase: “U turn if you want to, the lady’s not for turning.”

He urged Councillor Kitcat: “YouTube if you want to!”

And now he can.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Kitcat cleared of breaking council rules

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
November 2010
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News