• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

No fatal collisions in new 20mph zones

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 20 Jan, 2015 at 2:22PM
A A
3
Brighton and Hove councillors put latest 20mph speed limit plans on hold

New figures show there have been no fatal collisions where Brighton and Hove’s first 20mph zones were introduced since they began in 2013.

Logo 20mph signThe data, published in a report to today’s environment, transport and sustainability committee, shows all types of collisions and casualties are down in the first zone since it was created in April 2013.

Data for the second phase, introduced last June, is still being analysed, but the report says early indications are that speeds have reduced.

All Collisions in first 20pmh zone by severity

18 month average, 2010-2013 8/4/2013 to 7/10/2014 Difference
Fatal 1.5 0 -1.5 (100%)
Serious 79.5 74 -5.5 (7%)
Slight 393.5 322 -71.5 (18%)
Total 474.5 396 -78.5 (17%)

All casualties in first 20mph zone

18 month average 2010-2013 8/4/2013 to 7/10/2014 Difference
Fatal 1.5 0 -1.5 (100%)
Serious 80.5 74 -6.5 (8%)
Slight 473 398 -75 (16%)
Total 555 472 -83 (15%)

As well as updating councillors on the progress of the first two 20mph zones, the report also asks them to approve the next step in the consultation for the third zone – the advertising of speed orders.

The first zone extends from Sackville Road in the west to Freshfield Road in the east and north as far as Old Shoreham Road.

The second covers much of the suburbs, from Portslade in the west to Moulsecoomb and Whitehawk in the east and Patcham in the north.

The proposed third zone extends the 20mph limit to Hangleton, Mile Oak, Ovingdean, Rottingdean, Saltdean, Woodingdean and the Medina Terrace area of Hove.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Hjarrs says:
    12 years ago

    Oh dear! The Naysayers that have put up so much resistance will not be pleased. The latest wheeze was to tell us that accidents had gone up in the 20mph zones!

    What we now need is proper enforcement of the speed limits in the city. I am sure that we will see further big reductions in accidents and incidents if that is done.

    Reply
    • Gerald Wiley says:
      12 years ago

      @Napoleon – I wonder who encouraged Jo Wadsworth to repeat this information that the greens originally posted last year?

      Seems you forgot that these figures were dismissed by the councils own statisticians as being not sufficient to prove anything – but as the results tied in with those from other locations then it would seem plausible.

      It could well be that the reductions are from normal variations in data, but that wouldn’t stop those wanting to use it as justification for the success of their failed vanity project – for example – as we all know – very few drivers take any notice of the limits anyway.

      Reply
  2. feline1 says:
    12 years ago

    Most taxi drivers go at about 45!

    Those statistics look totally bogus to me anyways. How can “1.5” people have died in the previous period?? You can’t half a death.
    I strongly suspect that if we saw the raw data it would show that the variations are within the bounds of random noise.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

No fatal collisions in new 20mph zones

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
January 2015
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News