• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

City centre’s last free parking neighbourhood calls for controls

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 13 Apr, 2015 at 9:18PM
A A
2
Could Hanover be asked to vote on residents parking again?

Bad parking in Montreal Street, Hanover. Picture by Ken Frost

People living in Hanover have voted by two to one to ask the council to introduce a controlled parking zone after years of resistance.

Bad parking in Montreal Street, Hanover. Picture by Ken Frost
Bad parking in Montreal Street, Hanover. Picture by Ken Frost

The area known as Muesli Mountain was asked in 2010 if they would like a CPZ, and voted plans down.

But since then, neighbouring areas have got controls and residents are finding themselves competing with more tourists, commuters and second car owners from around the city for space.

Some zoom round the streets to beat others to rare free spaces, vans are parked for months on end, and the area is even said to be used as free parking for Gatwick.

Now, after an unofficial survey found strong support for controls, the local action team is to formally ask for a zone to be created – albeit on its own terms.

Speaking at a meeting of the Hanover and Elm Grove local action team (LAT) this evening, chair Chris Taylor said it would be asking for a unique medium touch scheme from 10-11am, 2-3pm and 7-8pm Monday to Saturday, after council officers had reacted positively to the idea at a preliminary meeting.

He said: “The idea was to survey people in the area because we knew that the council were likely to come back with a proposal of their own.

“When those surveys came back we were a little surprised that they came back with 2:1 in favour.”

“It’s about finding something that suits us and we were really surprised that the council officers responded so favourably.”

The meeting heard that the area was becoming known outside Brighton and Hove as the city’s free car park, even being recommended on Trip Advisor as such.

One resident joked: “It will be a national scandal if it becomes a controlled parking zone.”

Another member of the LAT, David Gibson, added: “This is a one off chance to get all sorts of other improvements at the same time.

“Permits are an income street so in return we should get improvements to the road like cycle racks and one way streets.”

The LAT has surveyed 35 streets, covering most of Hanover and a handful of roads north of Elm Grove and on the Pankhurst Estate.

In Hanover, two thirds were in favour of some sort of parking scheme, although support was more ambivalent in the north of the ward, with many saying they were undecided.

Resident Brian Ravenett raised the issue of loss of parking spaces, saying: “Last time people wanted a CPZ until they found out that in narrow streets there would only be parking on one side of the street.”

However, Chris Taylor said the LAT had calculated how many cars there were in Hanover, and said it was confident even if spaces were lost, there would enough for residents’ cars.

Other possibilities raised by the LAT included floating permits for businesses like garages which needed to park different cars on the roads, 30 minutes free parking outside businesses, and half-price permits for those on council tax benefits.

The team is now set to bring their case to a council committee on July 19. If the council agrees to explore the scheme, designs will be drawn up and put out to consultation.

If Hanover votes yes, the scheme would come into force next summer at the earliest.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. feline1 says:
    11 years ago

    Ah, the “Local Action Teams” –
    aren’t they basically a collection of public sector loons whose role is to try and make up for the fact that their respective agencies are totally useless at getting anything done in the area? So they form a kind of off-duty meta-quango with unelected local busybodies, “getting things done” whilst protected from the consequences by a further layer of unaccountability? Or am I completely utterly wrong?

    Reply
  2. Fiveways Resident says:
    11 years ago

    When the CPZ rolled out over us last year we were flatly refused any variation of the council scheme despite a strong case being made. The only choice was take what we offer or get nothing.

    It was only the introduction of a CPZ on the edge of the area driving huge numbers of second cars into our streets that forced us to say ‘yes’.

    And the idea that the money will be used to tart up your street is laughable. Check the council figures, it all goes into the bus company, all £6m of it. Not that you’d know it from the ludicrous price for a ticket!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

City centre’s last free parking neighbourhood calls for controls

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
April 2015
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News