• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove to have seat on national park authority

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 17 Dec, 2009 at 7:40AM
A A
0

The South Downs National Park Authority will have 27 members, including one from Brighton and Hove City Council.
The size – and the make up – of the authority has been set out in a ministerial statement by Hilary Benn, the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
He said that the new authority would consist of 27 members.
Local authorities are to have a majority, with 14 members.
Six members will be nominated by parish councils while Mr Benn will appoint the remaining seven members to represent the national interest.
Mr Benn said: “To ensure that the national park authority keeps in close touch with communities and is able to respond to their concerns, I expect the authority to place a big emphasis on community and stakeholder engagement.
“I shall now include the 27-member authority in the statutory instrument which I shall lay before Parliament around the turn of the year.
“With Parliament’s consent, this will allow the national park authority to be established from 1 April 2010 and to become operational from 1 April 2011.”
Robin Crane, chairman of the South Downs Campaign, said: “This is another important step towards setting up a national park authority to look after the South Downs.
“While Hilary Benn confirmed the boundary of the national park last month, at that stage he did not say how it was going to be managed.
“Now he has made the decision on this, we can move forward.
“We very much welcome Hilary Benn’s statement that he expects the new authority to engage closely with local communities and stakeholders.
“This will be essential if the national park authority is going to be successful in protecting and enhancing the South Downs.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Brighton and Hove to have seat on national park authority

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
December 2009
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News