• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Education

Application to turn Portslade Community College into academy submitted

by Sue Pearson
Wednesday 3 Mar, 2010 at 9:05AM
A A
0

Brighton and Hove City Council has formally asked the Government for permission to turn Portslade Community College into an academy.

Two weeks after Brighton and Hove News first reported the plans were in the pipeline, the council has announced it has submitted a proposal – a response, it says, to “longstanding underperformance at the school”.

The proposal, if successful, would mean that the academy will be up and running by September 2011.

As we reported, the council’s preferred lead sponsor would be former pupil and multimillionaire Rod Aldridge’s Aldridge Foundation, with Brighton and Hove City Council as the co-sponsor and the University of Sussex as the academy’s education partner.

Leader of the council, Councillor Mary Mears said: “We want to continue to work closely with Portslade Community College to improve their results and standards and I believe that by turning it into an academy school we will achieve this. It will not only enable us to bring in extra funding to improve the school’s buildings and facilities but it will also give the school greater freedom and independence to provide the curriculum that the pupils need and deserve.

“And I am delighted that we have been able to secure the Aldridge Foundation as co-sponsors for the academy with the city council, alongside our other partners in the project, the University of Sussex. They will both bring in valuable extra support and expertise to the project which I’m sure the pupils will benefit from enormously.”

Rod Aldridge from the Aldridge Foundation said, “The foundation welcomes the opportunity to work with the city council and the University of Sussex to provide students at Portslade with new facilities, high standards of teaching and a learning environment that will enable them to achieve their best.

“On a personal basis this is a very emotional moment for me as I was a pupil at the school many years ago. To now be its sponsor is a great privilege, and I give the parents and students my commitment to improving educational standards for all.”

Professor Michael Farthing, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sussex, said; “As a leading education research institution and an innovative provider of teacher training, the University of Sussex actively works with a range of schools and FE colleges across the region.

“We are pleased to be able to offer our skills and experience as the education partner working with the city council and the Aldridge Foundation to support this new initiative to help improve secondary education in Brighton & Hove.”

The school’s head Stuart McLaughlin has only recently started at the school after leaving Falmer High School as it was turned into another Aldridge academy, due to open in September as the Brighton Aldridge Community Academy.

Last month, the school was ranked 144th in a table of the country’s worst performing schools, and the 14th worst at improving pupils’ performance when the new GCSE and A-level results tables were published.

But governors are unhappy with the move to turn it into an academy, saying Mr McLaughlin has already made a good impression.

Last month, one told Brighton and Hove News: “I’m not happy about this. The head teacher is new and is doing a good job. He should be given time to prove himself.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Application to turn Portslade Community College into academy submitted

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Lewes line to reopen next month

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
March 2010
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News