• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Help identify Brighton golf course body, urge detectives

by Frank le Duc
Sunday 5 Sep, 2010 at 8:19PM
A A
0

A young man was murdered before his body was taken to a golf course on the edge of Brighton and Hove and set on fire.

His body was dumped and burnt in the past few days – probably since Thursday afternoon, according to detectives.

The mutilated body was found yesterday just before noon by golfers at The Dyke Golf Club in Devil’s Dyke Road, across the road from the Devil’s Dyke.

One of his feet was missing although detectives believe that this may have been torn off by an animal after the body was dumped in undergrowth between the 17th and 18th holes.

Sussex Police said that the body was removed from the scene overnight and post-mortem tests were taking place this afternoon in Worthing.

The man was described as short, slight, dark-haired and heavily tattooed.

The Home Office pathologist trying to identify the cause of death is likely to spend several hours examining the man’s body.

The results of those tests are unlikely to be known until tomorrow.

The officer leading the investigation, Detective Chief Inspector Trevor Bowles, said: “We are treating this as a murder and are fairly certain that the man was brought to the scene having been killed elsewhere.

“There are injuries to the body but I will not speculate on the cause of these until after the post mortem.

“Initial forensic examination suggests that the burning took place at the scene and we would like to hear from anyone who may have seen a fire or smoke near to the golf club at any time between Thursday afternoon and Saturday morning.

“I should like to clarify that while the body was missing a foot we now believe this to have been caused by animal activity after the man’s body was dumped.

“The body had been dragged a few feet from the site of the fire and we think this was when the foot went missing.

“The man was quite short, slight of build and had dark hair.

“It’s very difficult to tell because of the severe burning but we think that he was in his late teens or twenties.

“From areas of the body not affected so badly by the fire we can see that he was quite heavily tattooed and one tattoo on his shoulder looks like it has been started but not completed.

“If this description fits anyone you know who has gone missing in the last few days, I would urge you to contact Sussex Police immediately.

“A DNA sample has been submitted for analysis and we should have a result within a couple of days.

“But this will only confirm an identity if he had previously had a DNA sample taken.

“It is vital that we identify the victim as soon as possible.”

Sussex Police urged anyone who thinks that they know the man or has any other information to call 0845 6070999 or to contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Help identify Brighton golf course body, urge detectives

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
September 2010
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News