• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Golf course murder victim identified

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 7 Sep, 2010 at 2:22PM
A A
0

The man who was killed and dumped on a golf course has been identified as Stefan Welch, 37, from Brighton.

Stefan’s badly burnt body was found by golfers just before noon on Saturday just to the north of Brighton and Hove.

Detectives believe that Stefan was murdered elsewhere before his body was taken to The Dyke Golf Club in Devil’s Dyke Road, next to the Devil’s Dyke.

It was set alight and hidden in undergrowth but police have been able to match a DNA sample and, separately, received a call from someone who recognised his description.

Detective Chief Inspector Trevor Bowles, from Sussex Police Major Crime Branch, is leading the murder investigation.

He said: “A DNA sample sent for analysis at the weekend has provided a match on the national database for Stefan Paul Welch, a 37-year-old man from Brighton.

“At much the same time as the match was established, we received a call from someone who recognised the description we released yesterday, in particular the link between the tattoos and false teeth.

“I should like to thank the many people who have contacted us with information.

“Our thoughts and feelings are with Stefan’s family at this time and it is for them that the focus of our inquiry now turns to finding his killer and bringing them to justice.”

Mr Welch lived in Oriental Place in Brighton and work is now going on to establish his last movements.

Mr Bowles said: “We would now like to hear from anyone who saw or talked to Stefan between Wednesday and Saturday last week.

“That said, we believe that his body may have been dumped and set fire anywhen between those days.

“It is almost certain that he would have been transported to Devil’s Dyke Road by a vehicle and we would still be interested to learn of any suspicious vehicles parked or being driven in the area.

“Stefan was subjected to a particularly violent attack and his killer has gone to great lengths to cover up the crime.

“However, the chances are that his attacker or his clothes would have been covered in blood and my view is that someone, somewhere has the information that will lead us to them.

“Forensic examination of the scene continues and, having established that some form of accelerant was used, a team of officers is now visiting fuel stations in the area to obtain samples for petrochemical analysis.

“This may well assist us in narrowing down the number of locations where the fuel used to burn the body was purchased.

“We also need to identify where the murder actually took place.

“Forensics suggest that it was not at the site where the body was dumped and burned and again I would appeal to the public for information.

“You may have seen or heard an attack taking place, you may be aware of a location where there is blood or where there have been recent attempts to clean up.

“If you have any information that you think could help us, please contact 0845 6070999 quoting Operation Trewin.

“Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Golf course murder victim identified

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sussex University staff vote to strike to try to save jobs

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
September 2010
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News