• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Formal notice issued to close one of Brighton and Hove's biggest schools

by Frank le Duc
Monday 27 Dec, 2010 at 3:20PM
A A
0

The formal notice to propose the closure of one of Brighton and Hove’s biggest schools has been published.

The school – Portslade Community College – will be replaced by an academy school sponsored by former pupil Rod Aldridge.

The notice says: “The closure of Portslade Community College is dependent on the opening of an academy on the same site the following day.

“It is not anticipated that any pupils who currently attend Portslade Community College will be displaced as a result of the proposed school closure.

“All pupils at the school who wish to continue their education in that location will be offered a place at the newly created academy unless they choose to move to another school which has places available.

“The proposed academy will provide 1,200 places for children ages 11 to 16 and 250 sixth form places.”

Ofsted, the schools watchdog, placed Portslade in special measures in the summer after an inspection in March.

Progress

The inspectors’ report acknowledged the progress made since head teacher Stuart McLaughlin joined the school in September last year.

But he arrived just over a year after pupils sitting exams were judged to have such poor progress that only five other schools in the country performed worse.

The “value added” scores, published in January last year brought pressure on Brighton and Hove City Council to look hard at Portslade.

Councillors and officials hope that the academy proposal will help to transform the school’s fortunes – a plan that they are already pursuing in Falmer.

In September the Brighton Aldridge Community Academy replaced Falmer High School.

Mr McLaughlin, the former head of Falmer High, took over at Portslade after he was told that he would not be running the academy.

At Portslade, however, he will stay in charge – even though the academy will have the same sponsor, millionaire businessman Rod Aldridge.

One former pupil said: “I hope that becoming an academy will make a difference although, in itself, I don’t think that’s enough.

Rebranded

“Stanley Deason in Whitehawk was closed and rebranded twice before being shut down for good.

“The school may have been part of the problem but I suspect there were wider and deeper problems.

“In places where there is poverty, low aspiration and too few employment opportunities, it is not surprising to find fractured families, crime and drink and drug problems.

“A school needs a good structure to succeed, of course, and it needs a good head to lead it.

“It also needs capable and committed staff who can be confident that they have the support of the whole community – from the governors, senior management and colleagues through to parents, police and the wider public.

“Good relations with the bigger local employers can be invaluable too.

“Schools like Falmer and Portslade won’t be turned around overnight and if they are to improve then a lot of work needs to be done in the communities they serve.

“Money will help but it’s about so much more than money.

“And it’s not just about academic achievement.

Vocational

“In places like Whitehawk, Moulsecoomb and Portslade it’s particularly important to cater for the pupils who are unlikely to sparkle academically.

“A truly good school will tap into their talents and help them find out what they are good at.

“School need not be vocational but it should provide the skills to enable pupils to find and learn their vocation.

“So at somewhere like Portslade, I’d like to think that the curriculum would include a greater range of practical subjects than it might have done in the past.

“Change is often tricky so I wish Mr McLaughlin and his staff and the pupils and their families every success.”

For a copy of the complete academy proposal, email gil.sweetenham@brighton-hove.gov.uk.

Anyone wishing to comment on or object to the academy proposal for Portslade has until Friday 28 January.

Comments and objection should be sent to Gil Sweetenham, Schools Futures Project Director, Brighton and Hove City Council, King’s House, Grand Avenue, Hove, BN3 2LS.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Restored cast iron returns to Madeira Terrace for reassembly

Formal notice issued to close one of Brighton and Hove's biggest schools

Man found dead in house this morning

Brutal rapist targeted woman he met on night out in Brighton

Greengrocer leaves market over plans to reduce opening hours

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Campaigners call public meeting tonight in push for housing on Brighton General Hospital site

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Cabaret Voltaire announce live album ahead of final Sussex concert

Cabaret Voltaire announce live album ahead of final Sussex concert

18 February 2026
Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

18 February 2026
Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

18 February 2026
Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

18 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
December 2010
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News