A music festival planned for Stanmer Park in July has been put back two months over safety fears.
The council said in a statement: “We’re still working with Shakedown to help them deliver a safe, well-managed event.
“But the council and emergency services felt they needed more time to do that, hence the new date.”
Shakedown director Matt Priest said that tickets would still be valid for the new date, Saturday 17 September.
Those who wanted refunds could get their money back from next Wednesday (11 May), he said.
On the same date, the line-up is expected to be announced, with most acts already having agreed to the new date, according to Shakedown’s organisers.
The original line-up included leading DJs Mark Ronson and – from Brighton – the Freemasons. It also featured the rapper Example, the beatboxer Beardyman and bands such as Razorlight, New Young Pony Club and Rubylux, a local group.
A crowd of 20,000 is anticipated, with tickets starting at £35 for the festival, which is due to run from 2pm to midnight. Tickets go back on sale on Wednesday.
Mr Priest today said: “We would like to sincerely apologise to anyone disappointed by this postponement but would like to assure everyone affected that it will ultimately lead to a far safer and more enjoyable event.
“We would also like to assure everyone that the festival is financially secure and all monies from ticket sales are protected.
“We are now working with our current line-up of artists to reschedule them to our new date.
“Moving the date is not ideal but we will work closely with the council to deliver a great event in September.
“Ticket sales have been excellent so far and we expect that to continue.”