Hove man hurt as burner explodes

Posted On 17 May 2011 at 6:52 pm

A Hove man suffered burns while using an ornamental fuel burner.

He was treated in hospital after the bio-ethanol burner exploded, splashing hot fuel on to his legs.

The device was designed to use a gel-based fuel but was burning liquid when it exploded.

Two fire crews from Hove Fire Station were sent to the man’s home in Goldstone Crescent, Hove, late on Sunday evening (15 May).

Group Commander Mark Hobbs said: “It is very important to follow manufacturers’ instructions when it comes to appliances that produce flames and heat.”

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said that it would look further into this incident to see what lessons could be learnt and passed on.

A similar incident happened before Christmas, when a man in Brighton was injured.

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.